Video Software Editing vs Filters when Recording

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bsinger74

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
BTW I posted this under "Production" first but thought it might be better here...

I've shot a lot of stills underwater, using a Canon PowerShot SD950IS and it's "underwater" shooting mode, and then just some basic post production with Picasa's "I'm Feeling Lucky" option. It tends to work VERY well for general purpose. If I need something more advanced, I use Gimp or Photoshop (depending on my computer).

So, I'm thinking of going digital HD video. I have a Sony HDR SR12, and am thinking of the Equinox HD6 housing for it. So, on to the questions. I've reviewed the forums and lots of good info on white balance, filters, etc, but I have bit of an integrated question:

- How much can the post production in Vegas compensate for white balance or filters? Rather than buy a bunch of filters for all the different conditions I dive, I would prefer to perhaps have one filter (whatever that might be), or no filter, and then do the post production edits in software.

This is the way I shoot most stills to reasonable effect (for my purposes), and wondering to what extent I can do that in video.

Ok now understand I am a computer and editing idiot! We have a Sony HC7/Gates housing setup and I use Sony Vegas. We have found the key it to WB underwater. In sales Always Be Closing for video it should be Always Be White Balancing. If shooting macro and/or if you have powerful lights than Auto White Balance works fine. If you are shooting in good light and wide angle with no lights then Manual White Balance, with the red filter in place works best IMHO. So in general you should be shooting with Lights On and Auto White Balance or Lights off, Filter in place and MWB. Ok, Ok, the exception could be very low light situations where the filter would be too much.

I like Vegas but have not had much luck "putting red back in" sequences. Vegas does ok "cooling" things off if a there is a little too much red filter. If you go to our site and check out the last 3-4 Multi-Media shows these were all done with Vegas.

For video, I've found that the filter does a much better job than doing it in post.

I always white balance, and seldom do any color correction in Vegas. To me, getting the color corrected either by white balance, or correcting during editing is so important. I hate watching blue or green video, when I know that is not what it looked like to the diver. I want to feel like I'm there and seeing it as it was.

Since my old Scubapro Gorila fins passed away, now I can not have a white decal sticked to the new fins. So I been strugling to MWB while pointing a white slate dancing with the currents.
-How do you keep the white card whitout a buddy to hold it?

Since my old Scubapro Gorila fins passed away, now I can not have a white decal sticked to the new fins. So I been strugling to MWB while pointing a white slate dancing with the currents.
-How do you keep the white card whitout a buddy to hold it?

Try using the sand. I also have had good luck using a colorful reef with a lot of different colors and my silver/grey fins.

Back
Top Bottom