Vintage Collection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, that's right. Its THAT one. Nope. No good. Too dangerous to use and may explode upon opening. Better box it up and send it to me :wink: I'll dispose of it nice and proper.
Seriously, if you are a solo diver like your tag implies, you realize there are risks associated with our sport and maybe displaying that reg is all you should do with it.
Me? Well I searched a few places and found hoses, gaskets and such for mine. I didn't need a diaphragm but new silicone ones are available. If you don't feel comfortable opening it and peeking in, then maybe you should sell it and find a USD or Voit. There is a much better chance of finding parts.
But before you do, ask yourself what exactly do you intend to do with this vintage gear of yours. Will learn to dive it? Where? Inside the Oriskany? or in a pool at 6'? On a sunny reef at 3 fathoms? I wouldn't be scared of learning from this early dual hose regulator. Just realize you have limitations with this one.
. I so plan on diving the reg I spent a lot of time this last week carefully taking it apart and cleaning/ inspecting got it all back together and put it on a fresh tank turned it on and took a few good breaths from the old thing and it did good. So my next step is to open water it and play, but I will have a sling and two safety divers with me..I don't think this is something to solo! But probably at the end of the day it will be a nice show and tell reg. The voit 50 fathom blue is a reg I'm really looking into and not so vintage the Kraken when it comes around again if I'm lucky.

Be careful. They're addictive :wink: but it sounds like you're approaching it cautiously so I say have fun with it. My first use was in a pool. They are fairly simple and if well cared for can last a long time. But parts do wear out so look around. Sometimes you can even find new old stock for these things. I've been running want ads locally and you'd be amazed at what people squirrel away. Good luck and have fun. Be sure to let us know how it goes.

Hey Avon,

Wheres the report? Have you taken your reg diving yet? What other vintage gear are you using? If you haven't already, I suggest picking up an old backpack to use with it as modern BCs do not allow the reg to rest as close to your shoulders as it should.

Having fun yet?

DD

file:///C:/Users/pc/Desktop/photo%20(6).htm

a part wiev of my mask collection .. I prefer these masks in my deep or vintage diving.. I hope all the La Spirotechnique equipments are reproduced and become in markets.
My first prefer is La Spiro and second Nemrod..

Last edited:
Avon,

We have had a pretty in-depth discussion of all things Healthways over on the Vintage Scuba Supply website. I noticed one thing that I need to tell you, and that is that the exhaust diaphragm in the original Healthways SCUBA is not rubber, but nylon-impregnated neoprene. It therefore lasts and lasts. It doesn't need to be too flexible to be effective, as the pressure will seal it against the exhaust horn. There is a lot more to this than just that exhaust diaphragm though, so read through the latter part of the above link carefully.

By the way, I am a solo diver also, and have used the Healthways SCUBA regulator in the Clackamas River quite a lot. But I always "qualify" a rebuilt regulator by diving it in a local swimming pool first.

I have inserted two photos of a Hybrid Healthways SCUBA regulator, which never existed as a manufactured product. It has the guts of a Gold Label SCUBA, and the box of the original Healthways SCUBA. I also experimented with a sheet rubber exhaust diaphragm (from natural rubber gloves), and found it breathed wonderfully, but leaked a tiny amount of water into the main regulator. I like the exhaust of the original Healthways SCUBA, which by the way was my first regulator in 1959, and the compactness of the design. But I also like the breathing of the Healthways Gold Label. With this design, which I don't suggest anyone else try unless you have a backup regulator (pony bottle or manifold with two posts) in open water, I get the best of both worlds. Note that I dove this both with and without the duckbill, and found that without the duckbill backup in a head-down position the exhalation hose would leak water into the hose. The duckbill is therefore necessary to prevent that backup of water into the exhaust hose in a head-down position. I have since gone back to the original exhaust diaphragm (of nylon-impregnated neoprene) and a modified duckbill (explained in the attached thread).

SeaRat

Attachments

• Healthways Scuba Hybrid3.jpg
    Healthways Scuba Hybrid3.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 95
  • Healthways Scuba Hybrid1.jpg
    Healthways Scuba Hybrid1.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 91
  • Healthways Scuba Hybrid4.jpg
    Healthways Scuba Hybrid4.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Hey Avon,

Wheres the report? Have you taken your reg diving yet? What other vintage gear are you using? If you haven't already, I suggest picking up an old backpack to use with it as modern BCs do not allow the reg to rest as close to your shoulders as it should.

Having fun yet?

DD

Sorry for delay on an update but weather has been crap to try such on old reg and work has been well work! But I have Been working on a "cam ez pak" backplate that my uncle gave me years ago with his '76 tank, It by the way has a cool looking Healthways valve. So my plan is to try the reg out over the long weekend and with any luck have a great few dives with the old girl!

Sorry for delay on an update but weather has been crap to try such on old reg and work has been well work! But I have Been working on a "cam ez pak" backplate that my uncle gave me years ago with his '76 tank, It by the way has a cool looking Healthways valve. So my plan is to try the reg out over the long weekend and with any luck have a great few dives with the old girl!

Nice! Don't forget. Pics, or it didn't happen :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom