Viper T.E.C. w/ Scuba Pro MK20

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boomx5

Contributor
Reaction score
I am getting ready to invest some money in a new setup. And I am thinking about getting the Scubapro S600 w/the MK20 first stage. But my main concern is having a solid backup just in case something happens to my primary. I was thinking about using the Viper T.E.C. as a backup but was not sure if it would work. Is this a idea? Are they compatible? If their is anybody that could help, I would sure appreciate it. thanks

Why would you want to mix them?

IMHO you should just get a G250 if you want a reliable backup. Or if that is too much money try the R190 instead.

ID

Think ahead when it comes to service time do you want two different dive stores servicing your regs??

Secondly by buying the same reg as the octo you can tell by breathing whether somethings wrong with the octo (I hope you check you octo a couple of times on the surface/dive).

Also if you buy a spares kit you can get away with one kit.
The worst thing is to use rental gear because your diaphram broke in timbukto with the mearest dealer/spares 300 miles away.

If the viper looks so good why dont u buy the whole viper setup?

Regs are life support buy the best you can it can save your life.

By the way i bought a MK 16 and the 190. I use a sporosub (mares sister co) octo mini compact which has a repair kit and can be repaired by any repair shop (cost $54). Also have a mares octo. So I have complete redundancy if either the MK16 or mini compact gives problems.

Ummmm...Egg007....

You're recent posts are a bit confusing (and a little concerning). You say you own a ScubaPro rig, but in another post you say that the Apeks is a superior setup. Does this mean that you own or have used both at one time? Or are you speaking without having the direct knowledge to back it up?

I have made the following commentary on another board:

No competition the APEKS is better by far in the breathing tests Ive seen plus its apparently also easy to service underwater. I think you should be comparing the APEKS to the Oceanic alpha/delta and Scubapro MK18. The mares equipment I believe would have the higher comfort level but as far as deep diving breathing there are better choices.

The headline was "mares v16 or seaquest apeks tx50 reg? "
-------------------------------------------------------

Both are good regs, but let her try out the mouth pieces and the feel of the reg, she may find the Scubapro more friendly ro sits better in her mouth. Let her decide its her reg.

The headline was "Apeks vs. Scubapro"
--------------------------------------------------------

Whats so inconsistent? And yes I like Scubapro, and no I do n't own an Apeks unit. And for your info I have used, Mares and Sherwood units. I have owned, mares, Scubapro, Sporosub and the venerable US Divers conshelf SE2 units. Maybe you need to read up a bit more.

The latest review i have seen out of a UK magazine site although a bit old places the Apeks 40 above the Apeks 100 in performance and better than one of the Scubapro units

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom