virginia dir divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you would like to do a dive at DS and review some of the information PM me! :D

Gpk ,
I was thinking about the primer he is doing on july 17th but if i do i better get with it, have not even spoke to bob.I read your report on fundies and seems you did well and bob was a good instructor.I don,t have my trim just right yet but i am getting better every dive (still feel a little foot heavy but need to video a dive to see )Hey thanks for the help it is appreciated.

Vince

Vince, just don't get stuck in process. Diving is fun, and DIR training just makes it more fun. The people I see who burn out are the ones who get too focused on the mechanics of diving, and forget why they wanted to dive in the first place.

Take Fundies, as soon as you can hover long enough to watch a skill demonstrated. The instructor will help you sort out your trim or kicks or whatever . . . the class really IS a class, and you are expected to learn and change and improve during it. If you take it early, with no goal other than a rec pass, you can relax and really make use of the instructor to help you learn to make your diving easier, less stressful, and just plain more fun.

Lynn,
Hope i have the name correct .I have to say that you are one of the reasons i did not believe what these folks had to say.We do not know each other personally, but it is obvious that you dive dir and you are a great help to many people on sb.I think all divers should follow your example.I read sb for along time before i posted and feel like i know some of you guys already.Hey thanks for all your help and input .

Thanks, zenheadhunter! I am a great believer in the DIR approach to diving, but I really think one persuades people much better by being rational and tolerant, rather than dogmatic or dismissive. So I try to be the former :)

Give Bob a call if you're thinking about Primer or trying to decide on Primer vs. Fundies. He's very approachable and will be able to guide you towards one or the other. His number's here: ALL ABOUT SCUBA - Bob Sherwood. Vestal, NY

If you're aware enough to sense that you're head heavy, you're probably ready for Fundies. No way to know without diving with you obviously, but I think people way overestimate how good to be going into the class. As Lynne says, it's a CLASS. The point is to learn, not to come in "perfect" but with bad habits already ingrained.

Best,
Ari

Gpk ,
I was thinking about the primer he is doing on july 17th but if i do i better get with it, have not even spoke to bob.I read your report on fundies and seems you did well and bob was a good instructor.I don,t have my trim just right yet but i am getting better every dive (still feel a little foot heavy but need to video a dive to see )Hey thanks for the help it is appreciated.

Vince
Vince - The primer class is a two day class, July 17th & 18th at Dutch Springs.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/di...-bob-sherwood-dutch-springs-july-17-18-a.html

This class will help you get your trim just right because Bob's eyes will be on you. He will video tape you and review your video with you and the class.

one of my concerns is i had a couple of poeple tell me "that dir is an all jock club with a military mentallity and if you aren,t a certain height,weight and pro athlete condition no matter how well you dive you wont be part of the club or be allowed to pass".Now i find this hard to believe and do not know why they think this, maybe they failed a class or had a bad experience who knows.I did not want to carry on with the subject with them further so i just changed the subject. they seemed to have a problem with the mention of dir and did not speak to me again till that night and all was well.:idk:

Vince - I've never met a DIR diver like the one described in your post and I hope I never do. Every DIR diver I've met has been knowledgeable, generous and gracious.

Every group has their share of a**holes and I'm sure there are some in the DIR community but as I've said I've not met one yet. Like you've speculated, they may have failed a class or had a bad experience but I find that the non-DIR divers who I've met who bash DIR have never even taken a DIR class and are only going by what they read on the internet or what other non-DIR trained divers have told them.

Keep an open mind and judge for yourself. I'm sure you will not be disappointed. I'm excited for whatever class, Primer, Fundies or Essentials, you eventually pick. you're in for an eye-opening learning adventure. Good luck.

I was wondering if there are any gue ,utd trained divers in the virginia area.I plan on taking gue fundies with bob sherwood next year at dutch and much later plan on persueing more advanced classes (dependant of course on my skill progression, don,t want to rush into anything to soon)but would like to dive with someone who dives dir to help me along the way as when i,m an experienced diver i will pay it forward.
thanks,
Vince

Vince, What part of VA do you live in? Where do you dive? Have you ever been to Mt.Storm?

You can hook up with us some weekend if you want to try "The Storm", warm water, low vis.

Mike

I'll be taking the Primer next month with Bob, and hopefully Fundies as soon as I can too. If you get to take Primer as well, we could get together at Rawlings to practice what we learn prior to Fundies. Not the same as diving with a mentor, I know, but better than nothing. I'm also a little leary to let on to my regular buddies about my interest in DIR, as they have also expressed some disdain. I know you said in the other thread that weekends are better for you - my schedule is flexible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom