• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

vis certification

Discussion in 'Tanks, Valves and Bands' started by simcoediver, Feb 8, 2008.

1. simcoediver

simcoediver Barracuda

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I,ve noticed that some divers on this board say they do their own visual inspections on their tanks, so I guess this is a course I can take to become qualified to do this?
    After completion of this course where do you get the new Vis stickers from?

2. akscubainst

akscubainst Dive Charter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    It's an 8 hour class Here's the link and you get stickers from PSI PSI / PCI

Dave

3. OWSI176288

OWSI176288 Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives:
    You can buy VIP stickers from Professional Scuba Inspectors@ once you have completed their Visual Cylinder Inspector course

PSI / PCI

4. Divin'Hoosier

Divin'Hoosier PADI Pro

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    SDI/TDI also has a VIP course. As with PSI, once you've completed the course you purchase the stickers through them.

5. captain

captain Captain

I have no certification or formal training, however I have been inspecting my own tanks for over 40 years. I inspect them before I take them to the hydro shop, if there is something I was not sure of I discuss it with the hydro shop. Of the tanks I questioned and discussed not one failed hydro so by that method is how I gained experience in doing my own inspections. That said, I do not need VIP stickers as I fill my own.

6. DennisW

DennisW Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    The captain is absolutely correct. He can inspect his own tanks or not as he sees fit if he fills his tanks himself. The only government requirement for a visual inspection is when the tank is hydrostatically tested every 5 years. The SCUBA industry has instituted a self imposed requirement of an annual visual inspection to try to catch those tanks that are not taken care of properly.

Diving Technologies International also has an 8 hour course and you can buy the visual inpection stickers from them after you have completed the course. Diving Technologies Int. offers training in scuba repair and more.