Visayas trip report : Cabilao-Alona-Dauin-Moalboal April 18

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How many days are you spending in the Philippines?....
Arrive 12/27 in the ridiculously early AM hours. Last possible scuba day 01/11 as our return flight is in the early AM of 01/13
So, we are "there" 17 days, 16 of which we could scuba, although I best plan on taking it easy that first arrival day (like a 1 AM arrival) and make sure we arrive at our first actual destination w/o being too worn out, relax and get ready for diving on the 28th...
Then 2 of us are pretty much beginners (One a good swimmer, one new to it all ... appreciate reef diving, do not know about muck diving yet (butcwe may try once I trust their buoancy for it...) and need to stay away from too deep and from down currents for a while.... one of which likely will limit her diving to 2dives / day ... TBD)The third one is AOW level, got close to 100 dives in his first two years, but has been "slacking" (well in diving for mot slavking in school) since last summer, but may get a few (not many) refresher dives in this summer. Solid diver, as far one can bestow that moniker on an older teenager - He has shown to stay calm around sharks etc.
I am fair game for any kind of rec. dives, but will focus on the family.
Definitely plan on land based the first week (+/-)... Am open to entertaining LOB for a few days (up to 6 maybe) the second week, but the $2k+ class per person is entirely out of the question, by a margin... and I am not experienced enough to dare with the"adventure class" w/o good input. So the second week may well also end up land based... Don't mind that at all, dspecially if the price / performance ratio is right.... Although, (not sure we are in the vicinity at the right time) if we were able to make it to see whale sharks towards the end (when the weak swimmer should be quite more comfortable on the surface), that I would not mind at all either...

I appreciate the offer an may well PM to ask you a couple more things as soon as I can take the time to.

One question upfront - flying rules related:
That "funny thing" with regulators and first stages not being allowed in carry on in the Philipines: Asking mostly for "inbound":
If my last inbound flight leg is from S. Korea (to Cebu) on an Korean airline (at least it says so, but it could be one of those co-opted flights)...: Am I possibly thinking correctly that I shouldn't get in trouble if I start flying with regs (and most dive gear really other than knives & maybe suits, ...) in the carry-ons from the US?

Arrive 12/27 in the ridiculously early AM hours. Last possible scuba day 01/11 as our return flight is in the early AM of 01/13
So, we are "there" 17 days, 16 of which we could scuba, although I best plan on taking it easy that first arrival day (like a 1 AM arrival) and make sure we arrive at our first actual destination w/o being too worn out, relax and get ready for diving on the 28th...
Then 2 of us are pretty much beginners (One a good swimmer, one new to it all ... appreciate reef diving, do not know about muck diving yet (butcwe may try once I trust their buoancy for it...) and need to stay away from too deep and from down currents for a while.... one of which likely will limit her diving to 2dives / day ... TBD)The third one is AOW level, got close to 100 dives in his first two years, but has been "slacking" (well in diving for mot slavking in school) since last summer, but may get a few (not many) refresher dives in this summer. Solid diver, as far one can bestow that moniker on an older teenager - He has shown to stay calm around sharks etc.
I am fair game for any kind of rec. dives, but will focus on the family.
Definitely plan on land based the first week (+/-)... Am open to entertaining LOB for a few days (up to 6 maybe) the second week, but the $2k+ class per person is entirely out of the question, by a margin... and I am not experienced enough to dare with the"adventure class" w/o good input. So the second week may well also end up land based... Don't mind that at all, dspecially if the price / performance ratio is right.... Although, (not sure we are in the vicinity at the right time) if we were able to make it to see whale sharks towards the end (when the weak swimmer should be quite more comfortable on the surface), that I would not mind at all either...

I appreciate the offer an may well PM to ask you a couple more things as soon as I can take the time to.

One question upfront - flying rules related:
That "funny thing" with regulators and first stages not being allowed in carry on in the Philipines: Asking mostly for "inbound":
If my last inbound flight leg is from S. Korea (to Cebu) on an Korean airline (at least it says so, but it could be one of those co-opted flights)...: Am I possibly thinking correctly that I shouldn't get in trouble if I start flying with regs (and most dive gear really other than knives & maybe suits, ...) in the carry-ons from the US?
"In-bound" international flights to the Philippines don't have any restrictions on where your regs can be--carry on or checked--doesn't matter. The only thing to worry about is the weight for your carry on. Most Asian airlines limit your carry on weight to 7 kilos or 15 pounds which you'll eat up a lot with a full reg in your carry on. Asiana airlines which I've flown to the Phils the last four times weighs all carry ons unless you're flying business class. Domestic flights in the Phils is the same--7 kilos per carry-on and you will have it weighed and will pay for anything over 7 kilos. Also you will be paying for checked bags too on domestic flights there especially Cebu Pacific. Philippine Air is a little more liberal and allows up to 20 kilos usually for free on their flights with a option to pay a little for more weight. I've never had to deal with the "no regs" in carry ons as I usually put them in my checked bag.

As far as diving goes and currents--I'm not much into "muck" diving either put if you go to Dauin you will be introduced to it for sure and maybe you will like it. Mostly flat featureless soft muddy bottom with some coral but a lot of artificial type reefs and small critters to look for. They do run trips to Apo island also which is a all day affair. It's usually a three dive trip with lunch included. There are several sites there that have pretty strong currents but many that do not. All you need to do is tell them you'd prefer not to dive in currents and you should be fine. Never met a down current there. They also run trips to Oslob for the whale sharks if they have enough people that want to go or can arrange a van to take you there which includes a short ferry ride to Cebu. You can find several reviews of Mikes resort which have recently been posted about that trip and the muck diving in Dauin. Balicasag only had a bit of current when we first got in the water but when we dropped over the wall it disappeared and all the dives were nice and gentle with super clear water and more turtles than I could keep track of---I stopped counting at 13 on my first dive there.

The live aboards plying the Visayas are usually starting from march until june, you will be too early into the season to book a liveaboard.
As for currents except for Apo island I have never experienced strong currents, usually gentle drifts around Balicasag or Cabilao, i thought currents were even stronger on some housereefs when not planning aptly the dive.
FWIW, I have been to both resorts Mike's and Azure, Mike's is more conveniently located nearby other restaurant options but I really prefer Azure for the diving/guiding part and also much less divers. Anyway none of the two would be a bad choice and IMO should be preferred to the bigger resorts such as Atlantis, Pura Vida, El Dorado etc.

Going back home I am in the airport. As for the regs, I put them in the carry on baggage. No problem in the flight to the Philippines, they questioned me on the way back, but then they called their manager and said they are ok (I am flying with Emirates). Curiously they asked me to put in the checked in baggage any cord with plugs, but not the batteries. Weight limit is 7 kg for carry on baggage

As for the dives, I dived in Dumaluan (close to Alona) and found it very nice, also for snorkeling. I did only snorkeling in Balicasag and it’s worth it (sounds promising also for diving). Then I did almost all my dives in Malapascua. The threshers are awesome. As for the rest, I liked especially Bugtong Bato or Deep Rock and Gato Island. Also very nice Chocolate Island. There are many dives of different kinds around Malapascua. Mostly they are macro, but also muck dives. Very nice diving spot. Compared to the Maldives there are probably less big fish and big creatures but the corals especially soft corals are much nicer and also the threshers are awesome. Not easy to see the hammerheads in Kimud shoal, at least not this year. I saw pictures of divers who had just dives in Cabilao and Anda and they seem to be worth it

Luko - I have to compliment you for your photos they really are amazing!!!!!

Thanks for the report - based on this I am looking at Dauin.
I can't see prices for Azure on their webpage but I have emailed them to ask.

Great update Luko, glad you had a, for the most part, great trip. Interesting points on Moalboal - now you experience what i have in the last time i went there!

There might not be as much fish action as Balicasag (btw a whale shark has been around the jackfish school for a week a few days after I left, a pity I missed it) but defintely Cabilao has great reefscapes. I remember you asked about Anda which i did not recommend at all, I think Cabilao is worth a few days diving when you consider staying around Bohol, also it's very easy getting back to Cebu from there.

So Anda no good ?

Back
Top Bottom