Visayas trip report : Cabilao-Alona-Dauin-Moalboal April 18

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One day I would like to see the Double Reef in Danajon bank, but I need to know exactly what kind of dive is that. I suspect it is quite technical and far from the skills I have now. Will get some info during this trip hopefully
Why are you focused on reefs just in front of Mactan??? This is the place where the most fishermen are.
I dived some shallow reef nearby like Olango, the only thing that impressed me was hearing the blasts of dynamites underwater... I would never recommend this area for diving the Phils.

Olango is nice for birdwatching they say
Anyway I am curious about Danajon. In the whole world there are 5 or 6 double barriers like that. And also, the reason why unfortunately the fishermen go there is that it's full of fish... Anyway I would not like to be underwater when these people make the fireworks, not nice...

Great trip report Luko, and awesome pics as usual!
Good to hear it’s not all gloom and doom but some areas clearly suffering under all the development and visitors. Shame.

I had a great time! I will try to post a report this weekend. :)
Liking Luko's review a lot (thanks again)... and this announcement, 'cause I can need all the advise I can get, 'cause I got tickets and nothing else yet for the family to the Visayas (Cebu) for late Dec. early Jan... and the more I read the more I seem to get conflicted on knowing if a particular place is still good or quite overrun or if a resort is a godd place for a decent price or a luxurious place for a royal price or more price than place etc... So much differing info on the internet... And even so we get to go to the Philippines for the price of a Bonaire flight (these days), with 4 of us, I have to watch what it all adds up to...

I’ll give you a feedback I received here from divers. Balicasag very good for diving quite ok for snorkeling. Alona and other parts of Panglao ok. Cabilao very good both for snorkeling and diving. Moalboal and Olsob quite crowded, the first still good for diving especially pescador island. Siquijor very good for diving and snorkeling. Apo ok. Dauin good for macro diving. Malapascua still good for the sharks and macro but tends to be crowded of divers, at least monad shoal the sharks spot. Malapascua still nice for macro. Hope this helps

i would say balicasag is the best choice for a family or perhaps Panglao on the Dumaluan side

i would say balicasag is the best choice for a family or perhaps Panglao on the Dumaluan side
No, don't stay on Balicasag, it's totally secluded and remote from the land. There is nothng there apart from one resort that has been severely going downhill for years. def don't do that!
SIquijor diving is not up to the other places;

I’ll give you a feedback I received here from divers. Balicasag very good for diving quite ok for snorkeling. Alona and other parts of Panglao ok. Cabilao very good both for snorkeling and diving. Moalboal and Olsob quite crowded, the first still good for diving especially pescador island. Siquijor very good for diving and snorkeling. Apo ok. Dauin good for macro diving. Malapascua still good for the sharks and macro but tends to be crowded of divers, at least monad shoal the sharks spot. Malapascua still nice for macro. Hope this helps
Liking Luko's review a lot (thanks again)... and this announcement, 'cause I can need all the advise I can get, 'cause I got tickets and nothing else yet for the family to the Visayas (Cebu) for late Dec. early Jan... and the more I read the more I seem to get conflicted on knowing if a particular place is still good or quite overrun or if a resort is a godd place for a decent price or a luxurious place for a royal price or more price than place etc... So much differing info on the internet... And even so we get to go to the Philippines for the price of a Bonaire flight (these days), with 4 of us, I have to watch what it all adds up to...
How many days are you spending in the Philippines? I've traveled there five times in the past five years and dived in several different places on different islands. My take--first it's great you're flying into Cebu and avoiding Manila. You're only a hour or two from several different places to dive that are great---Dauin or Panglao (Balicasag). Both are a hour or two away from Cebu by fast ferry. I really enjoyed my stays in Dauin--very kicked back small town vibe---Alona Beach area (Panglao) very different--very touristy and crowded. But if you're going to Panglao for diving you're just going to need to deal with that aspect of being there---it's not that bad. The diving at Balicasag Island is why most divers are there and I enjoyed my dives there very much--it's worth it. Dauin is very different--no big crowds--a small village you can stroll into and get a feel for real life in the Philippines. The diving is great too. Macro diving just off the coast there and also reef diving at Apo Island--which is my main reason for going there--love Apo. We stayed at Mikes Beach Resort in Dauin--small resort with only eight rooms, a pool, great restaurant and food and great people in the resort and dive shop. Not expensive--about $55-60 usd per night for a room--could be hard to book a room there in December--but contact them directly if you're interested in Mikes. We stayed a week in Dauin then took the ferry over to Bohol from Dumaguete for our week in Panglao--if I can answer any questions about my experiences in those two places I'd be happy to share them with you. PS--we were there in December this past year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom