Visibility Guess

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good.

I'm not the only one.

Ditto!!!

As for the visibility thing, if I can't make out a hand signal, then the visibility is less than the distance. It doesn't do either of us a whole lot of good to see each other if we can't communicate.

Ditto!!!

As for the visibility thing, if I can't make out a hand signal, then the visibility is less than the distance. It doesn't do either of us a whole lot of good to see each other if we can't communicate.

have had a couple of dives with less than 2m vis and just can't see the point of diving in those conditions.

2m is fine - can look into rocks and holes to see the life there.

As for what the point is - if those conditions are all you can get the choice is dive or give up diving. I opt to dive.

Rosbif71,
it depends - a lot of UK divers are really interested in a wreck so the ability to see a little bit of the wreck is paramount - others, myself included ,view wrecks as magnets for sea life so the lack of visibility is less of a factor when you are looking for small amounts of sealife.

Having said that, in both cases you do have to watch very carefully that you are not accidently penetrating a wreck. The lack of visibility may not be a problem for the suitably trained and equipped - where I personally thumb the dive is less than 1 metre where I think the risk outweighs the benefit but this is something that will vary from individual to individual based on experience, comfort level and training.

I view fish as annoying objects that get in the way of a nice wreck.

3m is average here in the sea, 5m is excellent and rare.

Given the worst year i can ever remember for weather though 0-1m seems to be the case at the moment.

South coast tends to get 5-8m which is a lot better than the west or east..

As for accidental penetration - its a bit issue and extremely easy to do. Its why i changed our choice of dive site on the weekend as it was obvious how bad the vis was (and this wreck is very broken up with lots of holes to accidentally wander into).

String
Fish prodder rules OK :)

Rusty bits of metal are boring - it's the cute fishies that count :)

Seriously- I'm in the minority in the UK - most do want to revel in the wreck and even I have had my moments admiring the wreck. (saw a beautiful turbot on the Oceana but couldn't see the bloody wreck mate :)

However, South coast 5-8m is indeed possible but that would be Dorset - further East and you're looking at a lot less and very variable - I've had 15m in Brighton but never had more than 2m in Eastbourne.

Yeah Devon, Dorset and Cornwall can be good but deteriorates further east. Id say UK as a general is 3-5m average vis. Ive never dived the eastern part towards dover as its far too long a drive to make it worth it from here - id be looking at 6hrs each way.

Anyway, fish are just there to be eaten. They're boring, predictable and stupid. Wrecks are history, culture, heritage and fun to crawl round inside :)

(Although i do admit i enjoy diving with seals)

Seals - been to the Farnes? :)

Sadly I don't have the skill/training for penetrations. Anyway you cannot eat wrasse FFS !
Don't tell me - boilers? Anchors? Bulkheads?

You see a lobster and think food - I see a lobster and think what a beautiful creature .. (to eat if big enough) A lobby predictable maybe but a cuttlefish argh not so sure but either inhibit life and unpredicatibility - geeh that boiler is behaving differently today :) And the bulhead well it has has so much attitude that well I'll just stay clear.

yeah 3-5 is a good average South coast - looking foward to Oban later in the year - that should get you going a bit :)

(Although i do admit i enjoy diving with seals)

Specially in a dry-suit in cold water I never want to be without them! :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::no:shakehead::11:

Back
Top Bottom