Visiting Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cherry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We have been thinking about visiting Roatan this winter but a good friend who has been traveling to there for a few years indicated that the last time he was there (last year) the fish life was severely diminished. Is that true? What is the underwater world like there and how bad are the bugs?

I was in Roatan for 2 weeks in May. Now, we saw a few large grouper. I don't recall seeing any sharks. There were decent angel fish and morays (lots of morays). There were numerous smaller fish. Now, as far as it being "diminished", I don't know what your reference time frame is. The diving was quite good. Now I do see far more big grouper at Key Largo or Little Cayman.

As far as bugs, I think you must be refering to mosquitoes and no-see-ums. The first week I was there, the winds were pretty brisk so the insect problem was not really significant. The winds died down in the second week and the no-see-ums were a minor problem. I was lucky, I did not get much of a reaction to their bite. I understand that the biting insects can get quite a bit worse and many people bring their own insect repellant. Most of the time unless the insects are over the top, I just endure the bites.

As a caution, Roatan is in a malarial zone. I understand that the malaria problem is not that bad. However, if you have ever read about the problems one has with malaria, taking an antimalarial drug seems like a really a good idea.

Cherry.......I'm here now and have been since middle of July. Been diving in Bay Islands for last 18 years. Currently, the best diving (IMO) is at the West End Marine Park. I'm seeing big black grouper, 200+ pounds, big cubera snapper, big dog snapper, yellowfin grouper, tiger grouper, nassau groupers daily. I've been diving in numerous places on this island and have yet to see what can be seen at West end Marine Park. Right now the weather is great, seas calm and water temp 85f. Viz is a steady 70 to 100+feet. On the other hand, when the wind changes to the northwest, (winter) it can get a little choppy on West end.

Unless you are strickly an all inclusive person you could take a look at an operation that has everything at reasonable rate: Roatan Hotel Dive Resort SPLASH INN West End Honduras.

Hope this has been of help......have a nice trip.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom