Volo or Volo Race?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, it sure is YHO. Thing is, I wasn't talking about opinion. Seems that having a hard plastic that lacks flexibility is a major engineering problem. You may want to take a look at your fins again. You will se that the plastic part on your fin has a larger surface area, this fin snapped where it predictibly would, right where a major stress riser would be created and at the narrowest part of the brittle plastic. The fins are designed with angles such that they can be pretty much parrallel to your legs. Imagine if you will, putting your fins on in the surfline, with a lot of surge and a bottom that had raised ridges caused by the receding water. Knowing that if pressure was put on the fin in the wrong direction that it would snap just doesn't fly with me.

Justin699:
Imagine if you will, putting your fins on in the surfline, with a lot of surge and a bottom that had raised ridges caused by the receding water. Knowing that if pressure was put on the fin in the wrong direction that it would snap just doesn't fly with me.

Justin, I'm not trying to be arguementative, I'm just telling you that I've used the fins in conditions you describe & nothing has happened. The "must fail" arguement doesn't work if it doesn't happen on a consistent basis.

As I mentioned in my previous post, this is the first time I've heard of the problem you describe in either Volos or their cousins the Dacor Tigers. The only thing that has come to light was that a previous generation of Tigers had a problem with hinge failures. However, that issue was resolved & no longer happens.

Again, I'm not looking to pick a fight. But one instance of a problem is does not a defect make.

Pax,

I see you have the Volo fins in question. I suggest you challenge yourself to putting the fin in this position, observe the failure. While I am glad you are happy with your Dacor fins, and they do share some design concepts, the Dacor fins do not have the same engineering design flaw that the Mares do. I would predict that the Dacor style would not have this problem due to it having a wider area of plastic. I guess after observing this failure I am more comfortable diving a single compound fin, where you cannot have delamination issues or failure point from materials lacking the necesary flexibility required in this application.

SubMariner:
Justin, after having the Dacor Tigers for the last 5 years (which are VERY similar in design) with literally HUNDREDS of dives on them in a multitude of open water conditions, I think I can honestly say this was a freak occurrance.

Frankly, I can't recall ever coming down on the TIPS of my fins in a situation such as you described. It doesn't seem like a natural fin position at all.

JMHO, of course.
I had a similar occurrance last June. I was exiting the water at a breakwater when a wave picked me up and dropped me onto the tip of the fin and it snapped! These were Dacor Tigers. They were warranty/replaced N/C by the dive shop where I purchased them with the Volo Power! Nice! Its an awesome fin. I have some Aeris Velocity split fins too, but I pretty much always use the Volo Powers.

SubMariner:
Justin, after having the Dacor Tigers for the last 5 years (which are VERY similar in design) with literally HUNDREDS of dives on them in a multitude of open water conditions, I think I can honestly say this was a freak occurrance.

Frankly, I can't recall ever coming down on the TIPS of my fins in a situation such as you described. It doesn't seem like a natural fin position at all.

JMHO, of course.

I have 70 dives on my Volo Powers, and my LDS has replaced them TWICE during that time. I dive in the Pacific NW, and these things just don't hold up here. The first time, the plastic rays snapped, just as the OP described (I still don't know exactly how it happened, though). The second time, the black rubber delaminated around the tips of the stiff rays, at all four ends of the rays (2 per fin). There is a design problem with this fin, IMHO. Neither of these things should ever happen to a $190 fin. All you have to do is look at the things, they are just too fragile. Having said all that, they are really great fins to dive with - the first kick aceleration you get with these things is just amazing. My LDS has been wonderful, but when this 3rd pair fails (and I know it will) I'm going to have to go for something more durable.

I just bought Plana Avanti Quatros this weekend to replace my Volos (which I am not wild about). Before my Volos I had Scubapro Seawings which were very powerful.

Are these the 2005 version of the volo power fins that we're talking about here. I have read reviews of them being fragile, and I'm worried now because I have just bought their latest model and am hoping that they had revised this issue. Are the plana avanti quatros better than these fins?

Nitro:
Are these the 2005 version of the volo power fins that we're talking about here. I have read reviews of them being fragile, and I'm worried now because I have just bought their latest model and am hoping that they had revised this issue. Are the plana avanti quatros better than these fins?
Don't know about the 2005 Powers but I can attest to the performance of the Quattros. On a recent dive outing, i decided to put a bit of effort into my kick with my quattros. Something gets my attention so I look back and wouldn't you know it; there is a pod of dolphins desperately trying to keep up with me! I can't guarantee they will perform as well for anyone else though! :eyebrow:

Nitro:

The one that i was talking about was purchased in 2005, It is a safe bet to say that they are the 2005 version, although I cannot say for sure. If you have heard that the 2005 versions are more fragile, that leads me to believe that they probably were the current version.

freediver:
Don't know about the 2005 Powers but I can attest to the performance of the Quattros. On a recent dive outing, i decided to put a bit of effort into my kick with my quattros. Something gets my attention so I look back and wouldn't you know it; there is a pod of dolphins desperately trying to keep up with me! I can't guarantee they will perform as well for anyone else though! :eyebrow:

LOL..Are you serious.... Come on does this mean I have to buy yet another set of fins. Damn and I thought I had the best there was. Well I'll have to trial a pair of avantis and compair them with my powers and also see how they go against the apollo bio pro xt's :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom