Vortex Incident spin off / Buddy Breathing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I still practice buddy breathing. Long ago, I had a completely empty tank, not going into the long explanation and excuses, we were over 80 feet and I was minus zero PSI. It was before the octopus was in common usage, we buddy breathed from 80 feet up to about 50 or 60 feet where I left her and made a gentle ascent in no rush. I was very much needing air at the time my wife gave me her regulator at depth. I probably could have made it to the surface on my own but having her buddy breath with me replenished my body and allowed me to make a safe ascent in no hurry. N

I apologize. I shouldnt have said that. I need to stop arguing on the internet. Taking my exit...

To me CESA is far more dangerous than Buddy breathing. Both were practiced during my certification. I would much rather breath normally to the surface than take one breath and head for the surface exhaling the whole time. I truly believe that buddy breathing should be taught and practiced. I work in an environment where Murphy's law comes in to play often. What can go wrong will go wrong.

I used to fly on helicopters on a regular basis with Ex Vietnam pilots. One of the the tasks that a pilot has to do in training is land his helicopter with no engines on auto rotation. He has one shot to pull the collector at the right moment for a good landing. How do they simulate this,,, they kill the engines in flight. Had these pilots not had this training, how would they know how to do it when it occurs, not if.

Last edited:
Why is buddy breathing such a foreign concept? It's not rocket science. Maybe the real problem here is a diver that can't keep him/herself under control long enough to work through a problem...

"Hm, do I blow-and-go from 100ft or use the air my buddy has strapped to his back? Lets weigh the positives and negatives..."

I'm all for teaching buddy breathing. If you can't handle a task like "puff-puff-give" you either did a lot more studying in college than I did or maybe missed your calling as a snorkeler...

I apologize. I shouldnt have said that. I need to stop arguing on the internet. Taking my exit...

I took no offense and thought the 70's remark was pretty damn funny.

The world would be pretty boring if everyone agreed 100% about everything. I become a better diver by participating in such discussions, and I respect your opinion.

Now arguing politics, religion or spare air.... That's another story :wink:

I took no offense and thought the 70's remark was pretty damn funny.

The world would be pretty boring if everyone agreed 100% about everything. I become a better diver by participating in such discussions, and I respect your opinion.

Now arguing politics, religion or spare air.... That's another story :wink:

I didn't either, in fact it is funny and, at least for myself, sooo very true. Some of us have a hard time.......... letting.......... go.........

Closed mindedness (is that a word?) is a huge danger in this fun sport. Don't let yourself be caught in a state of complacency. As in my job, complacency will get you killed.

Heck, closed mindedness is a huge danger for life in general. lol I like that in this community, for the most part, people are constantly improving themselves and most don't have an aversion to a little debate in order to do so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom