Vyper failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beajster

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Here's a video of my Vyper failing:

I've had the computer for a few years and it's done hundreds of dives. It was unused for a few months, after which time it had a blank screen and didn't respond to button presses. I changed the battery and it was ok for a minute then it started going crazy and displaying random symbols on the display. Removing the battery and reinserting it fixes it, provided the battery is left out for a little while. When it is going crazy you can see the seconds indication starts flashing too fast and also the minutes go by far too quickly. I suspect a capacitor or timing crystal inside it has failed.

I have soaked it in fresh water and vinegar but I don't believe this is a depth sensor problem.

Before anyone tells me it's not worth fixing and to get a new one, I will be getting a new computer but I will also try to diagnose this problem and repair it, purely because it interests me.

Does anyone know the correct procedure for opening this computer (to access the PCB, not just the battery)? I would really like to try to find the failed component and replace it (and yes I'm aware than will involve soldering surface mount components).

Thanks

I would suspect corrosion damage, maybe from minor water ingress.

When mine failed with the sensor problem, I had the same idea (treating it apart to see if I could replace the sensor).

The two halves of the computer are glued together. Very strong glue. It was irreparably damaged by the time I got it open. I can't remember now if I used a heat gun on it. I did use a strap wrench, a vise and locking pliers, and finally a combination of screwdriver and hammer.

Good luck and let me know how you get on!

Last edited:
Had a similar problem with a Mares Puck Wrist. Water had leaked through the single button seal. Was able to open and clean away some corrosion and lube the tiny seal. It lasted for another dozen or so dives but when it packed up again it got replaced.

Thanks for replies. I'd be very surprised if it was water ingress as I was using it daily with no issue for several years, only after I stopped using it and left it for months did I see the problem. Also there is no visible sign that water has got in (condensation or corrosion around battery) but I suppose it is possible a little got in through the buttons.

Someone on youtube mentioned they used a plastic card to open it. I guess if it is glued together then spending some time wedging a plastic card between the housing parts might be enough to cut the glue away and let me open it without breaking it.

I'm surprised it can't be opened though. From what I've read online SuuntoCare | Factory Authorized Repair for Suunto Dive Computers | Suunto Battery Change Suunto computers are supposed to be serviced every 2 years/200 dives to replace all orings (e.g. around the buttons). If it is true the Vyper can't be opened then it would appear Suunto see it as a disposable dive computer which will only last 2 years/200 dives. That being said I've search very hard for a service manual or service kit (not just a battery kit) with a full set of orings and didnt find one for any suunto computer.

Didn't say it can't be opened, just that I couldn't do it.

I would guess there is a special tool that could break the seal. Maybe a thin circular blade...

Thanks for the advice. Maybe a thin razor blade would do it. Do you have any photos of yours in bits just to give me an idea of how the parts separate?

It was irreparably damaged by the time I got it open. I can't remember now if I used a heat gun on it. I did use a strap wrench, a vise and locking pliers, and finally a combination of screwdriver and hammer.
Dang, if I ever get pissed off by a non-functioning dive computer I am sending it to you to be executed!
I recently bought and dove with Suunto Vypr and I hope it holds up better than two years.

If it hadn't been for the sensor failures (3 for me) and suunto's response to those failures, I'd be steadfast suunto fan.

I didn't mention throwing my Vyper across the pool at our cement block wall. No damage. Maybe a scratch. It still had me diving somewhere around 250'. I threw it again. No change. They're tough devices...except for the sensors.

Thank you for the information that the rest of us need to make an informed purchasing decision!

Back
Top Bottom