Vyper Lockout

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leadweight

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Does anyone know if the user can remove the batteries to clear a lockout on a Vyper computer with a deco violation.

No scolds please, I know this kind of behavior is risky.

:nono:

For what it is worth, I don't have the Vyper, I have the Aeris 300G and the instruction book says that after a deco violation, it takes 24 hrs to clear.

It states, and I quote, "A full 24 hour surface interval must be served before the 300G will reset automatically and provide normal decompression and oxygen monitoring functions. "

I hope this helps.

Long story short, history, profile data, and personal settings will remain even though the battery has been removed. Nitrogen loading, oxygen loading, and time settings will be lost, thus, the no-fly time will also be lost. The manual does not explicitly say whether or not the Err condition resets upon battery removal.

I would venture to say, however, that the Err condition will remain as they do have a method of retaining data when the battery is removed. However, since Err is a timer based function, and the timers seem to be reset upon battery removal, then it is possible that Err does reset. If Suunto really wanted to prevent liabilities, they would have thought of this tactic.

If you're looking for a computer that won't lock despite deco violations, the Zeagle Status II is what you want. It simply never locks.

If Suunto really wanted to prevent liabilities, they would have thought of this tactic.

Actually, as long as they make a good faith effort to keep you from diving again, they've done their job. If you go above and beyond to find a way to beat their setup, then they have a decent level of liability protection.

The lockout is result of violated deco.
Pulling the battery stops the clock, does not reset the error.

This is a built in safety measure. omiited deco results in what Suunto calls a permanent error mode.
You have to wait 48 hours for this to reset.

Mike D

:blfish:

Thanks for the info, mddolson.

MuddyFox mentioned the Zeagle Status, which does not lock out. This computer is made by Benemec. I think that the Orca Pilot is similar.

Does anyone know of any other dive computer that does not lock out, or can be cleared br removing and replacing the battery?

leadweight once bubbled...
Thanks for the info, mddolson.

MuddyFox mentioned the Zeagle Status, which does not lock out. This computer is made by Benemec. I think that the Orca Pilot is similar.

Does anyone know of any other dive computer that does not lock out, or can be cleared br removing and replacing the battery?

Benemac makes the Orca Pilot, Mares Divemate, Dacor Equinox and Polar Diving. I didn't know about the Zeagle Status. I have the Orca Pilot EAN. I only have two complaints about it:

Contacts instead of buttons
Dive profile time interval ( it samples quick enough, but it only records a three minute average for the profile reporting).

You might want to look back at the past ScubaLab tests. I believe that they report if the computers lockout or not.

Jarhead

Polar diving is the parent company of Benemec. So far as I can tell, they don't sell computers under their own name. It looks like the Mares and Dacor versions of the Benemec are history. That leaves Zeagle and Orca, with the later available mail order and reasonably priced.

I found out that the Cochran Commander does not lock out, but it is a bit pricey.

Any other computers that do not lock out or can be reset by removing the battery? Anyone?

leadweight once bubbled...
Polar diving is the parent company of Benemec. So far as I can tell, they don't sell computers under their own name.

Look real close at the name brand on this computer available from Divers supply.

BEN15594.GIF

Right after I bought mine, they changed from the Orca Pilot to the Polar Diving label.

Jarhead

I stand corrected.

After reading a coupleof old reviews on Rodale's, I doubt that the Benemec (Polar/Orca/Zeagle) is what I am looking for.

Any other no-lockout or resetable by battery removal computers out there?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom