Vyper Lockout

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just out of curiosity, why are you so interested in purchasing a computer that does not lock? Are you planning on going into deco and then violating stops dictated by computer?

I assume, you are, perhaps for doing some deco dives with different mixes planned using tables or software. But you don't need computer for those, you need a bottom timer, so look for ‘puter that can be switched to bottom timer mode, not one that does not lock out.

Inquiring minds want to know.

How about a situation where the dive is within the Navy tables but you must get out of the water with a few minutes of deco remaining on a conservative computer like a Vyper. The ensuing 48 hour lockout seems a bit unfair, especially considering there seems to be no way to clear it.

Anyone know if Aeris/Oceanic computers can be cleared of a deco violation by removing the batteries?

For those dives that you do on tables, switch the thing to bottom timer.

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself. :eek:ut:

For those dives that you do on tables, switch the thing to bottom timer.

Watch out on the Vyper in this mode - if you go into guage (or freediving mode as they call it) and get below 4 or so feet, you will be locked out of the standard diving mode for 48 hours, just as if you had a deco violation.

chrispete;

I am aware of that problem. That is one of the reasons that I asked the original question about being able to completely reset a computer by removing the batteries. I am beginning to suspect that any computer that keeps its log memory through a battery change will also keep its error status and not reset.

The Benemec and Cochran computers do not lock out. However, Rodales was pretty hard on the Benemec computers it tested, sucha s the Zeagle. Cochran computers have been subject to their own degree of controversy. Just do a search for Bikini and Cochran.

I was going to show you the Bikini page about Cochran.

http://www.bikiniatoll.com/Cochran.html

I would forget what Rodale's has to say, and get yourself a Zeagle Status II. It's among the favorites at Bikini.

While I don't think they've updated their computer list lately, Bikini seems to be a fabulous testing ground when it comes to keeping computers unlocked. Scroll down and view the computers they prefer:

http://www.bikiniatoll.com/fabioletter.html

I have been investigating. The Mares M1 has a clear nitrogen function which will clear a deco violation lockout. Anyone have any experience with this computer?

Back
Top Bottom