Vytec - extended surface interval

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carbon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My user's manual for the Suunto Vytec describes the flashing Diver Attention Symbol as a recommendation to "extend surface interval". I cannot find any further information beyond this in the manual.

After a recent dive, this indicator was turned on. What conditions cause it to turn on? If I am to extend my surface time, by how much? What turns it off?

Any clues?

Thanks,
Carbon

carbon:
My user's manual for the Suunto Vytec describes the flashing Diver Attention Symbol as a recommendation to "extend surface interval". I cannot find any further information beyond this in the manual.

After a recent dive, this indicator was turned on. What conditions cause it to turn on? If I am to extend my surface time, by how much? What turns it off?

Any clues?

Thanks,
Carbon

The Vytec requires extended SI when you ascend too fast, dive a sawtooth profile, didn't take a full or reasonable SI before this most recent dive, blow past your stop, etc. All of the things you'd expect a computer to tell you to "slow it down a bit..."

The thing is, you never know HOW much to slow it down. It doesn't say how long you gotta wait... If it does, I haven't been able to find it.

I dive in gauge mode 99% of the time, but on multi days on EAN I'll dive in computer. On a recent trip before the accident, after my FIRST dive it went on... I'm all "what????" I plan this stuff pretty carefully, dive very conservatively and ascent painfully slow. I had no idea what I did that teed it off.

It went off at 1 hour 1 minute. 61 minutes... it went off.

Wacky thing.

K

You could just do the next dive... all it does is become a little more conservative, but the warning will be cleared after the next dive (as long as you don't violate it again).

The theory is that Suunto uses the RGBM model, which attempts to eliminate bubbles completely, rather than allow them to form and deal with them at the shallow stops or SI. The warning symbol is an indication that bubbles may have formed.

RichLockyer:
You could just do the next dive... all it does is become a little more conservative, but the warning will be cleared after the next dive (as long as you don't violate it again).

The theory is that Suunto uses the RGBM model, which attempts to eliminate bubbles completely, rather than allow them to form and deal with them at the shallow stops or SI. The warning symbol is an indication that bubbles may have formed.
Rich,

You're correct in that the Suunto does use RGBM, but it uses a proprietary "wrap-around" version, not the full-up iteration. It is, as you have pointed out in other posts, an extremely conservative computer. This, however, is not a criticism of the unit.

Cheers!

I have a Cobra and get this diver attention symbol all the time. The manual is not very specific about what it means. I'm not sure that it is an indication that you have done anything wrong. It idicates that there may be some microbubble formation. I'm not an expert on decompression but I think microbubble formation is a common occurance. Lately I have been ascending very slowly, especially from 20ft to the surface, and have noticed that I get this alert less often.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom