Vytec vs Vyper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CJ-62:
I have the Vytec and have no issues. A frequent buddy dives with a Vyper and the displays match up almost every time, never been more than 2 minutes difference on NDL's in about 20 dives. He never does deco, I have intentionally incurred a stop on a couple of dives (with other buddies) and I sling a 36% (usually).
As far as I can tell the big deltas between the two are:
1. The Vytec supports 20-99% EAN
2. The Vytec (mine anyway) supports three gas mixes, switchable in water

If you expect advanced Nitrox in your future or carry more than one gas then the Vytec is the minimum that you can get away with (of the 2 computers mentioned).

If you know that you are going to get into Tech diving, then you should get a better computer (VR3 or NiTek He) in addition to the laptop/planner software. After you attend a credible Tech course, of course!

All true, but don't forget CPDiver's original post-- if the $170 price difference between the vyper and the vytec is an issue, then he's not in the market for a VR3 or NiTek He. I still think he'd do just fine for a long time on the vyper, especially since the ability to set it to gauge mode good to 10 ata does open the door for adv nitrox, trimix, etc. And there's a lot to be said for working those profiles the long way.

Back
Top Bottom