Wahoo! I PASSED!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congratulations Kris! Let me ask, why did you get an instructor rating if you don't plan on using it to work in the dive industry? I don't really call what I do "work" either, but when it comes down to it, it really is a LOT of work! Plus, it costs a good amount of money to maintain the rating too.

Thanks, Doug!

I just don't know... at this point, my visa allows "professional-level" contract work to be done, so that might happen, but I can't be *employed* anywhere.

Of course, there's nothing stopping me from offering services for free, and just working off whatever tips get offered. :D

A lot of my motivation was a personal goal, coupled with the desire to take people I know diving that want to go, but somehow don't have the motivation (or desire, or comfort) to call you or another shop up and do it.

Anyways, we'll see... if a good job offer came along, I'd try to get a work visa for it, but right now I'm still weighing my options.

KrisB:
Just got back from Oahu, where I passed the IE with flying colours! It's official -- I'm an instructor!

(Please allow 48-72 hours for the paperwork to be filed and the computer records to reflect this) :)

I'll let Mark report in on his own -- don't want to spoil his glory!

One quick note, though: anyone that lists Magic Island as a place worth diving... well... you really need to come see what shore diving on Maui is all about... we almost always have more than the 3' viz we had today at Magic Island. 'nuff said!
Hi Kris;
Suspected I'd find you on here, but had no idea how quickly.

Congratulations on your IE results. I suppose I'll have to lower my head with great respect when I next see you. The very best to Mark as well.

Bob/former DM Candidate/MDDC

icosdiver:
Hi Kris;
Suspected I'd find you on here, but had no idea how quickly.

Congratulations on your IE results. I suppose I'll have to lower my head with great respect when I next see you. The very best to Mark as well.

Bob/former DM Candidate/MDDC
I thought it was the other way around... from what I hear from the public, Divemasters are a higher rank than Instructor! :D

Thanks, by the way. How's the cold treating you?

Also: "former DM Candidate" -- doesn't that mean DIVEMASTER BOB? :D

It has been very cold, windy and lots of ugly weather. The Seattle area had approx. one million homes without power last saturday because of the wind and it was just about the same here in BC.

Haven't been diving since we got back, I'll blame it on the fact that we've just had too many things to do after our vacation. The real truth be known, the ice on the road and the ocean temperature of 43 degrees really discourages a guy from leaving the warmth of the fireplace.

Nothing like Maui.

A bit of eloboration - The surf was only running 6' or so and the vis was excellent - about 5' at the surface and 3' at depth. Perfect conditions. We decided that the best spot was just inside the boat channel marker - only a bit of current to spoil the surge. The swim out was really great! I spotted a couple of coconuts and a few logs, some candy wrappers and other collectibles. A nice brown sea foam topped the salty sundae. UW there was a large rope (sheet to yous nautical types) with some mono attached that snagged our friend Max. We did manage to bring back a catch however.

:D

IE.jpg

Mark

Great picture!

Congratulations to all of you.

Now that this has been accomplished, are you shipping Kris back to PG to lead some real manly dives out of Prince George?

Take care and happy diving.
Bob

Back
Top Bottom