Wakatobi observations ....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We stayed in Ubud for 5 nights at Alam Shanti. It's also just outside the town so very peaceful and the service is amazing :
Alam Shanti
You can read my review of it on TripAdvisor:
Ubud: Alam Shanti - Traveler Reviews - This place is a true Gem - TripAdvisor

If you need a driver to take you around while you are there (highly recommend you do this, it's very reasonable and you'll see more than you will any other way), PM me and I can send you our guide's contact details.

Thank you so very much for the Bali info. I just left a deposit for Wakatobi for August but then read someone's email stating N.Sulawesi/Gangga Island is just as good for half the price. Know anything about that? The travel agent recommends Alam Kulkul and Alam Jiwa/Shanti for places in Bali but your recommendations sound much better. Know anything about them? Again, loved your most informative review of Wakatobi and appreciate your Bali referrals. Look forward to hearing from you soon.

If you go to north Sulawesi....You must do Lembeh....I saw the most amazing things. If you are going to Bali which I recommend....good diving.... stay in the Tumblen area.....for the best diving.....everything is 2 to 3 hours by car.....cannot beat Indonesia...best diving in the world.....I'm doing Lembeh and Raja again in Oct.

Thank you so very much for the Bali info. I just left a deposit for Wakatobi for August but then read someone's email stating N.Sulawesi/Gangga Island is just as good for half the price. Know anything about that? The travel agent recommends Alam Kulkul and Alam Jiwa/Shanti for places in Bali but your recommendations sound much better. Know anything about them? Again, loved your most informative review of Wakatobi and appreciate your Bali referrals. Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sorry I didn't get back sooner ... been gone and/or busy a lot and haven't been checking the 'Board. Wakatobi is our only experience in Indonesia, so I can't say anything with authority about other places. I can tell you that I have read that there are other places in the region with similar diving, and I can also say that I have heard that Wakatobi is not cheap for Indonesia. Having said that, I still stand by what I did say in my review of the resort, and we are not people who are interested in paying more just because we can do it, because we can't. Wakatobi is very service-oriented in ways that really benefit a diver, in my opinion. However, you can no doubt have a very comfortable trip with great diving for less money.

Were it not for the fact that we were also celebrating our 25th anniversary, and honestly used that as an excuse for a blowout trip, we may have sought a cheaper alternative, which is our usual mode of travel. So, while there is probably similar diving available in Indonesia, I think Wakatobi is priced reasonably for what it delivers for the whole experience. And in our minds, some of the dives at Wakatobi were truly stunning.

I'm afraid I can't tell you any more about lodging in Indonesia than I did in my post of December 18th, where I talked about the Tjampuham and the Green Garden in Bali.

Hope this helps ... you'll love Indonesia, wherever you dive, I believe. And don't miss out on some land time in Bali ... a magical place with some of the most wonderful, gracious people I have ever met.

Me again. I should add this caveat after reading your profile ... while Wakatobi is an excellent dive resort, I would think of it as decidedly un-hip, and certainly a poor investment if you want a singles crowd. Actually, I'm guessing that applies to most dive areas in Indonesia ... it definitely is not Club Med, Sandals, or the Caribbean.

Additionally, if your dive career has been limited to resort courses and you are not yet certified, you might consider starting your search by looking for places that are geared to instruction.

Back
Top Bottom