Wakatobi Resort or Atlantis Puerto Galera Phillipines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Susiewah

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have 2.5 weeks to go for a dive vacation in March 2019. I am trying to decide between Wakatobi Resort and Liveaboard and The Atlantis Resort in Puerto Galera in the Phillipines. We are all pretty experienced divers (Rescue and above) and would enjoy large schools of fish, little stuff and all the usual cast of characters. Any suggestions in helping me decide between these two great places?

Thank you in advance.

Susie

Hi Susie, Puerto Galera is a good option and would be a lot cheaper to visit than Wakatobi. Puerto Galera has large schools of fish at Verde island and some of the dive sites around the Canyons area. The Alma Jane wreck is also a great dive. Most of the other dives have medium to small size reef fish. One of the highlights is the muck diving in Puerto Galera Bay. It's mind blowing over there and some of the best muck diving in Asia.

A trip to wakatobi should always be combined with a Bali trip! Tulumben, padang bai, nusa penida and so on. Just another thing to consider.

Wakatobi or PG???? Budgetwise these are quite extreme : why this choice over two options only?
I suggest in March you go to Raja Ampat which might be even less $$$ than Wakatobi and miles better than any of these two options.

Here are some possibilities that fit into your Wakatobi resort budget :
- couple a liveaboard on Tubbataha for big fish with Anilao for macro stuff (much better for muck/macro than PG) or any place in the Visayas (I don't take PG as the most charming place in the PIs....understatement...).
- Raja Ampat with Ambon or Lembeh in Indonesia
- Sipadan/M'sia for schools of fish with any other place in Indonesia (Bali, Manado, etc...)

Thank you all. Some great ideas here.
Luko, we've been to Sipidan twice and and LOVED It. I've been to Lembeh and loved that too!
Chris, I've also been to Bali with the Lembeh trip. Great combo!
PG is cheaper and closer but not in love with the area.

Maybe Palau????

Have a look at Big La Laguna, it's a lot quieter than Sabang in PG. Palau is fantastic, I used to work there, if you do that I would recommend a liveaboard, otherwise you have long boat rides everyday and often dive on the best sites when it's packed. On the liveaboards you get to the sites first or when all the others have headed back to Palau mainland.

For muck diving both Lembeh and Anilao are on par for critters. Anilao is much easier on the budget however and less flying to get there usually.

March is too early for Tubattaha in Philippines otherwise highly recommended.
Palau is also very good but as already mentioned ie. only on liveaboard.
Large school of fish! I will give PG a miss. No experience on Wakatobi.
March could be the right time to dive Southern Komodo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom