WALLET & KEYS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I used to park in an area with a high break-in risk, I'd use a rubber band and attach it underneath the front seat. Usually when a car was broken into the first thing they would do is check the glove box and either look or sweep hands under the front seats.. With the wallet "up off the floor" attached to the bottom of the seat, they would miss it...

I usually lock my wallet and keys in the car and take a spare key in my wetsuit. However in Bonaire we were told not to lock the trucks because the local crooks might think that there was something worth stealing and break in, so I bought a tiny dry case about the size of a deck of cards and took it all diving in my BC.

TT

Just a reminder,, in FL you must have your fishing licence "on your person" if you are taking lobster (or spearfishing).

key on the top of the front wheel, wallet in shoe next to towel further down the beach... They will never find them!.......... :wink:

actually key can go in a small watertight wallet, or inside the drysuit (for ones with the chip inside) or on a string around the neck inside the wetsuit.

I have taken those credit card sized hard watertight wallets to over 200 ft without them flooding, just be careful about them pinching skin if they are inside the wetsuit.

What does a keyless entry remote have to do with a key? Are there any cars that you can't get into by using the actual key itself in a door lock? Are there any keys that you can't get wet? For my personal vehicle, it has keyless entry in the door so I can lock my wallet and keys in the trunk while I dive.

yknot:
What does a keyless entry remote have to do with a key? Are there any cars that you can't get into by using the actual key itself in a door lock? Are there any keys that you can't get wet? For my personal vehicle, it has keyless entry in the door so I can lock my wallet and keys in the trunk while I dive.

Some new keys have the keyless entry remote or a chip built into them. So obviously you don't want to get it wet.

I personally carry my key in a pocket in my wetsuit or hide it in a friends car and let him deal with carrying the key.

If you have a newer ford, they have a aftermarket keypad that can be installed on the car/truck. Mine came with one and I love it.

I keep my wallet and key tucked under the dash by the emergency brake pedal.

I never lock my truck up. If someone stole it, they would probably be doing me a favor and if there was something that someone wanted, I would rather have them open the door and take it than have them break a window out :wink:

yknot:

VW Passats come with three keys, two are combo key/keyless remote, replacement cost is about $150US each. These CAN NOT get wet. The key part folds into the remote. TSA just loves these since they look like a folding knife to the X-ray machines. They include one "valet" key that has a chip in it, not sure if that is water safe.

If you lock your door using the remote and try to use the key, the alarm will go off.

I used to dive with my full key ring until one summer day when the keys fell out of my bathing suit pocket (I wasn't wearing a wetsuit). I lost them completely and had to leave my car at the dive site (only 2 miles away). I came back the next day and by some miracle found my keys hidden under a rock lip. Of course I hadn't considered the door lock/unlock mechanism on the key ring- it was toast.

Two weeks later I lost my girlfriend's truck keys the same way at a different dive site. Had to leave her truck there overnight. When I arrived the next day to look for them, someone had found them and clipped them to the handrail on the steps!

Now I dive with just the spare car and house key in my bathing suit (and under a wetsuit). I don't have to carry my wallet out here on Catalina so I don't worry about that.

Doc

Back
Top Bottom