Want BP/W. Would like advice/feedback

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tobin,
I guess it's the condescending nature of your responses that I take issue with, and the way with which you quickly try to disprove other opinions, over and over again on nearly every scuba board.

Tobin,
I guess it's the condescending nature of your responses that I take issue with, and the way with which you quickly try to disprove other opinions, over and over again on nearly every scuba board.

Seems an odd complaint for someone that chooses to quote my posts and take a contrary position.

So are you suggesting I'm not entitled to my opinion if it disagrees with yours?

Tobin

Listen, I think you're heart is in the right place and you're making suggestions that you believe are the right ones. I disagree with them, sometimes. Bygones. And I don't believe I posted anywhere that you're not entitled to your opinion.

Jimmy,

Maybe you should re-read your post where you essentially slap Tobin with the proverbial glove.

The topic here isn't who can piss further in an Aluminum Plate or a Steel plate now is it?

Everyone is entitled to their opinions here.

Let's all try to keep it on topic :)

Having equipped thousands of divers worldwide, and many divers who dive in cold water at home and travel to warm water I have no doubt that a SS plate is a better choice for those who wish to use a single plate.

How about a diver that wants to use a single plate and travels (by air) to most of his dive destinations? My additional balast, whatever the amout, resides in trim pockets on my top cam band, on my waist band/harness and (in cold water) in trim pockets on my lower cam band. Personally I'd rather travel with an AL plate and rent my weight, whatever the amount, locally. Why is a SS plate better than an AL plate with weights in properly-positioned trim pockets?

How about a diver that wants to use a single plate and travels (by air) to most of his dive destinations? My additional balast, whatever the amout, resides in trim pockets on my top cam band, on my waist band/harness and (in cold water) in trim pockets on my lower cam band. Personally I'd rather travel with an AL plate and rent my weight, whatever the amount, locally. Why is a SS plate better than an AL plate with weights in properly-positioned trim pockets?

You are of course welcome to do as you please as you see fit for whatever scenario you wish to construct.

I have already answered you question about camband weights and waist band weights, please see my earlier posts.

The fact remains for most divers who dive at home in cold water and travel to warm water a SS plate is a better choice.

Obviously the ballast provided by the SS plate is welcome for cold water and thick suits. If you prefer to dress your rig out with trim pockets and waist strap pockets etc.etc. instead of using the inherent ballast a SS plate provides have at it. I prefer simple gear.

One of the key benefits of a BP&W for cold water diving is the ballast the SS plate provides up over the divers buoyant lungs, and close to their back. IMO it is silly to toss this key benefit away, and then try to "rebuild it" by adding complexity and cost in the form of trim pockets and waist belt pockets etc.

Many falsely assume that SS plates are far heavier than they really are and that massive amounts of travel weight can be saved with a aluminum or Kydex plate. That's just not true, the difference is ~3 lbs.

What is not obvious to many, and I have the opportunity to speak with 2-3 newish divers on average every day, is that the ballast provided by a SS plate is often just about right for warm water too.

As I have posted repeatedly, the typical tropical diver is using a 3mm suit and a buoyant al 80. That means they need about 8 lbs of total ballast, about 4 lbs for their suit and another 4 to offset the buoyant al 80. A typical SS plate and harness provides about 6 lbs of ballast and the regulator another 2 lbs.

That means the diver needs no other ballast. That's a pretty simple streamlined rig. The gear is ready to dive right out of the bag. No weight to track down, or rent or loose, etc. Most prefer this simple approach, a few find reducing their travel weight more important.

I routinely tell divers that if they are traveling to places where they have to cut their tooth brush in half to get on the airplane a light weight plate may make sense, but they will have to get creative with their ballast once they arrive. Most choose the SS plate once they understand the benefits.

Tobin

You are of course welcome to do as you please as you see fit for whatever scenario you wish to construct.

I have already answered you question about camband weights and waist band weights, please see my earlier posts.

I did read your earlier posts. The most relevant one in this thread is #20. It left unanswered questions in my mind - for example, how is an SS BP positioning weight over your lungs any different from trim pockets. Plus, if I dive primarily cold water those trim pockets are going to be there most of the time anyway (I don't use V-weights). That's OK, Tobin, you seem to be in the mood for a fight and I have better things to occupy my time right now. Have a nice evening.

I have traveled many times to the caribbean with a SS plate and come in under the baggage limits. I have also made the same trip with only an AL plate due to using both single and double tanks on the same trip (single tank on Cozumel reefs, doubles in the cenotes). One way I deal with the weight limit is by carrying a lightweight duffle instead of a 10lb+ suitcase. That shaves about 8lbs off my bag. I'm a firm believer in choosing dive gear for how it performs in the water, unless there is a really compelling reason otherwise.

IMO there is a difference in performance between a SS plate and an AL plate with camband weights, and I push the weights all the way against the plate, one on each camband on opposite sides of the tank. The AL plate with weights is fine, there's nothing wrong with it, but the steel plate does feel a little better. The only reason I can think of for this is the fact that the weight is evenly spread out across my back. With steel tanks, I use an AL plate pretty much all the time.

An interesting experiment for AL80 divers might be to attach a weight directly on the tank near the bottom, as that's the most buoyant end of the tank. I do that with double AL80s occasionally, but I never tried it with a single tank.

Jimmy,

Maybe you should re-read your post where you essentially slap Tobin with the proverbial glove.

The topic here isn't who can piss further in an Aluminum Plate or a Steel plate now is it?

Everyone is entitled to their opinions here.

Let's all try to keep it on topic :)

Well, if it were, the steel would definitely be better..

It allows for a more relaxed and natural backward leaning stance that is so important in these sort of competitions where total concentration is required.

I did read your earlier posts. The most relevant one in this thread is #20. It left unanswered questions in my mind - for example, how is an SS BP positioning weight over your lungs any different from trim pockets. Plus, if I dive primarily cold water those trim pockets are going to be there most of the time anyway (I don't use V-weights). That's OK, Tobin, you seem to be in the mood for a fight and I have better things to occupy my time right now. Have a nice evening.

:shakehead: amazing :shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom