Want my bottom time back!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yup.. that's the question all right. Thanks, Thalassamania.

More great suggestions. I'll definitely look for one with different settings. Thanks, Craig.

Hmmmm. I checked the Gekko manual a while ago and couldn't seem to find anything about changing settings so just assumed it wasn't possible for the Gekkos. Thanks for the tip, Rivers. I'll read it again.

The Gekko does have a rep for being very conservative, but I'll definitely check the settings again. Thanks, Ajduplessis.

Paula, from the Gekko manual (if you have the manual check pages 35-36):
The dive computer can be adjusted both for diving at altitude and also to increase
the conservatism of the mathematical nitrogen model.
3.7.1. Altitude Adjustment
When programming the instrument for the correct altitude, you need to select the
correct Altitude Mode according to Table 3.4. The dive computer will adjust its
mathematical model according to the entered altitude mode, giving shorter nodecompression
times at higher altitudes (see Section 6.1. “Operating Principles”,
Table 6.1. and 6.2.).
The entered Altitude Adjustment Mode is indicated by mountain symbols (A0, A1
TABLE 3.4. ALTITUDE ADJUSTMENT RANGES
Altitude
mode
Symbol
on display
Altitude
range
A0
A1
A2
0 - 300 m [0 - 1000 ft]
300 - 1500 m [1000 - 5000 ft]
1500 - 3000 m [5000 - 10000]
= one mountain, or A2 = two mountains). Section 4.2.4. “ Personal Adjustments”
describes how the Altitude Mode is adjusted.
Traveling to a higher elevation can temporarily cause a change in the equilibrium
of dissolved nitrogen in the body. It is recommended that you acclimate to the
new altitude by waiting at least three hours before making a dive.
3.7.2. Personal Adjustment
There are adverse personal factors for DCI which divers can predict in advance
and input into the decompression model. Factors that may affect susceptibility to
decompression illness vary between divers and also for the same diver from one
day to another. The three-step Personal Adjustment Mode is available, if a more
conservative dive plan is desired.
The personal factors which tend to increase the possibility of DCI include, but
are not limited to:
- cold exposure - water temperature less than 20 ¡C [68 ¡F]
- the diver is below average physical fi tness level
- diver fatigue
- diver dehydration
- previous history of DCI
- stress
- obesity
The Personal Adjustment Mode is indicated by a diver symbol and plus signs (P0
= a diver, P1 = diver +, or P2 = diver ++). Section 4.2.4. “ Personal Adjustments”
describes how the Personal Mode is adjusted.
This feature should be used to adjust the computer to be more conservative,
according to personal preference, by entering the suitable Personal Adjustment
Mode with the help of Table 3.5. In ideal conditions, retain the default setting, P0.
If conditions are more diffi cult or other mentioned factors which tend to increase
the possibility of DCI exist, select P1 or even the most conservative P2. As a
result the dive computer adjusts its mathematical model according to the entered
Personal Adjustment Mode, giving shorter no-decompression times (see section
6.1. “Operating Principles”, Table 6.1 and 6.2).
TABLE 3.5. PERSONAL ADJUSTMENT RANGES
Personal
mode
Symbol
on display
Condition
P0
P1
P2
Ideal condition
Some mentioned factors
or conditions exist
Several mentioned factors
or conditions exist
Desired
tables
Progressively
more
conservative

If you don't have a manual, here's a link:
http://ns.suunto.com/Manuals/Gekko/Userguides/Gekko_userguide_EN.pdf

Cheap AND liberal? Sounds like the perfect match.

Well, there's two words you don't hear used together all that often.

:eyebrow:

only complaint i have about the sherwood insight, mine doesnt upload to my computer correctly.

other than that its awesome. I dive a lot during the summer, probobaly 3-4 times or more a week, and i have been known to leave my gear rinsing overnight to really rid the salts. Even with all that, my battery lasted 1.5-2years. very long life!

Hi all,
I'm mourning the demise of my old Orca Marathon computer especially since I made the mistake of buying a Suunto Gekko to replace it. Recent example: After a first dive (20 minutes at 75 ft then 45-50 ft for 30 minutes) and a surface interval of close to 2 hours, the Gekko had me coming up on a 40-50 ft second dive after only 25 minutes! Any recommendations you all have for another computer, the more "liberal" the better, would be most appreciated. I'm a recreational diver with 20 years of experience and about 600-700 dives, good on air. Thanks so much. Paula

I decided to pull my logbook, to investigate this phenomenon, as this complaint is quite common. I've done plenty of 100ft plus dives right to the end of NDL with my Suunto Vytec DS (same algorithm as the Gekko, I believe) and followed them after a 2hr surface interval with a second dive that was much longer than what you cite. But to make an apples-to-apples comparison to the dive you cite, here's a dive series on air I came across in my logbook:

DIVE #1:
75ft for 22min
40ft for 28min

SIT for 1:45min

DIVE #2:
53ft for 54min

SIT for 1:33min

Dive #3:
48ft for 52min

So, somehow my "too conservative" Suunto let me go almost an hour on my second dive - compared to your 25min - though my SIT was actually shorter than yours. It then let me do another ~60min dive an hour and a half after that.

To double-check those numbers I just ran that three-dive series through V-Planner with +3 conservativism (which is a good approximation of my Suunto) and got nothing more than an extra minute at 20ft on the first dive.

The one area where I've seen my Suunto ding ding me on subsequent dives is if I have a rapid ascent on previous dives in the series. Any chance that could have occurred on your dive?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom