Want to Change BC (maybe to BP/W) Need Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dave42

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Context: I have roughly 70 dives, all in warm water locations, mostly the Caribbean, but some Texas lake diving, and have been working hard to manage buoyancy and dive technique. One thing that I discovered on my latest trip is that my BC doesn't fit entirely well. I currently have a Zeagle Brigade. I started to notice that the harness didn't fit as well as it should. While I could cinch down the waist strap the shoulder straps are always loose. I think this results in some dive technique problems, if I hold the shoulder straps in place I have much better technique. This got me noticing fit, and I've come to the conclusion that the harness is a bit on the big side, especially in the shoulders.

I am 5'10", 150, a runners build so I think this might be part of the problem, the shoulders are just too wide apart, even when tightened down. Currently have a size MD Brigade.

Thinking about trying various solutions and wondering people's input on this. I travel for almost all my diving, dive only in warm weather (I don't like being cold). I typically in salt water wear 6lbs of weight in 3mm suit.

Thought I could sell the Brigade (it is in good shape, I am someone who takes care of gear) and buy a smaller BC, but I am also enticed by the BP/W option as the single piece of webbing would mean I could get the fit better (I think). So then I thought maybe I should buy a Zeagle backplate and harness and use the wing and tank straps from the Brigade. I could also try and buy the smaller shoulder straps for the Zeagle as I understand these are interchangeable. I have no complaints about the gear, and would probably stick with Zeagle, but I also don't think I really need that heavy of a harness (that many D-rings or pouches)

Thoughts?

If you'll read some posts by @tbone1004 , you'll see he recommends that the shoulder straps be kept loose when flying a wing.

Now you may indeed have a fit issue with your Zeagle, and moving to BP/W may (independent of that) still be a good idea.

But don't assume that being able to tighten a single piece strap assembly is the key to making your BP/W fit. I learned that myself, the hard way.

So do either. Look for a BP/W, or a better fitting BCD. Or both. You can't have too much equipment. :)

@dave42 what @rsingler said is right, however that hinges on having a crotch strap which the brigade does not normally come with. I think you can put one on, but unsure if it would be worth it

So with a bp/w you'll want the shoulder straps super loose. When diving, you should easily be able to get a full fist underneath the straps, they don't need to be any tighter than that. The crotch strap sorts out the bc riding up and the waist strap stays tight to keep everything else in place. The shoulder straps really only work when you roll over to the side or on your back when not used to clip stuff off to.

If you want to switch to bp/w, go for it, I think it's a great decision. I doubt that with a SS backplate you'd be that much heavier than the Brigade for flying, but it means no more weight belt which is always nice.

@dave42 what @rsingler said is right, however that hinges on having a crotch strap which the brigade does not normally come with. I think you can put one on, but unsure if it would be worth it

So with a bp/w you'll want the shoulder straps super loose. When diving, you should easily be able to get a full fist underneath the straps, they don't need to be any tighter than that. The crotch strap sorts out the bc riding up and the waist strap stays tight to keep everything else in place. The shoulder straps really only work when you roll over to the side or on your back when not used to clip stuff off to.

If you want to switch to bp/w, go for it, I think it's a great decision. I doubt that with a SS backplate you'd be that much heavier than the Brigade for flying, but it means no more weight belt which is always nice.

Thanks. I had read your fitting guides on other posts re BP/W. Right now my BC tends to rattle around when I move, rather than staying put. I think the issue is less room in the straps and more width of the straps (although I can get two fists underneath). I can pretty much "shrug" off the shoulder straps underwater if I wanted to, despite making them as tight as possible.

So with a BP/W I understand that the should straps will be loose, but the tank wouldn't rattle around/move independent of me as it kinda currently does at times?

Would going to SS be a problem if I only currently need 6 lbs? Worried that I would actually be too weighted if I went SS route. For that reason was considering the Aluminum route, also for weight saving on traveling.

@dave42 it is supposed to move around when you move. The bp/w can if you shake around too much, but the difference is the straps are stiff enough that they don't really "slough off" like you're experiencing.

With 6lbs, you'll want SS. It's only a pound or two heavier than AL and you won't be overweighted. The plates are only 5lbs, and the harness is the rest of it. The brigade is not really a lightweight rig, so you may not save anything, but you shouldn't be any worse off than you are now travel wise.

@dave42 My advice is to contact Zeagle Express and explain to them your problem and ask them for suggestions. Looking at their website it seems you can purchase a new harness (pricey) or just the shoulder section (less pricey). You may be able to use your current bladder with a hard plate or with a soft Express Tech plate.

Back
Top Bottom