Want to go diving at Blue Hole...need recommendations please...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Briteri

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
A friend and I are currently in Xcalak, MX doing our DM at XTC Dive Shop and would like to go to Belize to get some recreation time/vacation time in before we part ways to go to our respective countries.

So we were thinking of wanting to dive Blue Hole and surrounding areas... and also want to go to Caye Caulker as well.

We will be flying out of Belize City.

So I guess my questions to you are:
1) what hostels you recommend that are safe and cost effective to stay at in BC and CC?
2) Which dive shops would you recommend as well to use?
3) for a day off or two without diving... what else do you recommend doing in BC?

much appreciated,
:wink:

I don't recommend doing anything in BC except getting the water taxi to one of the cayes. There are inland adventures you could enjoy by going to San Ignacio and doing an overnight or two there. But again for Blue Hole dive and local diving being out at the cayes or even staying at Atolls is best.

Inamuch as, you have expressed an interest in hostels, I'm inclined to think you have budgetary restrictions. In that regard it is important for you to know that a day trip to the Blue Hole could really mess with your budget. The trip from Ambergris Caye is approx. $300 US. Includes continentel breakfast on the boat on the way out, fruits, chocolate bar throughout day, lunch on beautiful Halfmoon Caye and three fantastic dives. Maybe a tropical cocktail or two on the return trip. Really quite a wonderful way to spend a day but it is spendy.

Belize City has some interesting stuff to see, but the town's on the um, rough side so you have to be careful. If you want to walk around, do it early in the morning and stick to main streets.

If I were to do a walking tour, I'd start at the Baron Bliss Monument, swing by the old American Embassy, then make my way to the water. Cross the Swing Bridge, head south on Albert Street, turn around at the cemetery, check out St Johns Cathedral, then cross over to Regent Street, peer through the fence at the Governor's House, then make my way back towards the Swing Bridge. Hang out in the plaza before you reach the bridge and soak up the vibe that is Belize City.

As far as things to do in the nearby countryside, there's cave tubing, zip lining and the Belize Zoo. Or you could clamber over the ruins at Altun-Ha or Lamanai.

I've got nothing on hostels. I like to stay at The Great House, but I'm sure it's more expensive than a hostel.

Chilly's right about the BH. It would be a budget buster for you. I don't know if you can get a boat from Caye Caulker. but you can certainly get one on Ambergris Caye.

If nonetheless you want to do the BH, the cheapest place to do it from is Caye Caulker. Lots of cheap accommodation there. Xcalak is only just up the coast from San Pedro, albeit in a different country, and I have been there several times by direct boats. But I don't know if there's a commercial option. If there is, it will be by far the quickest and probably the cheapest way of getting to SP. You can then either get a BH trip from SP, or go on down to CC and take a trip from there. If you do that, go with Belize Diving Services.

If you can't get to SP directly from Xcalak, then take buses as far as Chetumal and from there in mid-afternoon (something like 3:30pm) catch a boat direct to San Pedro. You clear immigration formalities in San Pedro, and it's very quick and easy.

My recommendation is to steer as clear of Belize City as possible. I live in Belize and I and most of my contacts regard it as a no-go area. If we have to go there for business reasons we ensure we're never walking on the streets.

If nonetheless you want to do the BH, the cheapest place to do it from is Caye Caulker. Lots of cheap accommodation there. Xcalak is only just up the coast from San Pedro, albeit in a different country, and I have been there several times by direct boats. But I don't know if there's a commercial option. If there is, it will be by far the quickest and probably the cheapest way of getting to SP. You can then either get a BH trip from SP, or go on down to CC and take a trip from there. If you do that, go with Belize Diving Services.

If you can't get to SP directly from Xcalak, then take buses as far as Chetumal and from there in mid-afternoon (something like 3:30pm) catch a boat direct to San Pedro. You clear immigration formalities in San Pedro, and it's very quick and easy.

My recommendation is to steer as clear of Belize City as possible. I live in Belize and I and most of my contacts regard it as a no-go area. If we have to go there for business reasons we ensure we're never walking on the streets.

I think XTC picks up tourists and supplies in San Pedro fairly frequently.

We do go to San Pedro from XTC but I was figuring I could get to Chetumal, then take a bus to BC then water taxi perhaps to CC. I am travelling with one of my fellow DMT's so we'll be floating around CC and the maybe AC... but she has also expressed an interest in going to the beaches on other side of Belize (western side)...

Does anyone know about having to pay leaving taxes from mexico or is that a fallasy?

Beaches on the western side of Belize?? Does she mean the backside of Ambergris Caye? The western border of Belize is all inland.

We do go to San Pedro from XTC but I was figuring I could get to Chetumal, then take a bus to BC then water taxi perhaps to CC. I am travelling with one of my fellow DMT's so we'll be floating around CC and the maybe AC... but she has also expressed an interest in going to the beaches on other side of Belize (western side)...

Does anyone know about having to pay leaving taxes from mexico or is that a fallasy?
Western beaches? Show her a map.

If you have a round trip plane ticket, you may have paid Mexico's Tourism tax and Departure tax in it. If you can't prove you have, you may get hit with 780 Mexican Peso fee from what I read on other sites. What plane ticket do you have, what such fees have you paid, and do you have a printed receipt?

ok... i just spoke to my friend and we decided on going to Placencia first, then to CC and fly out of BC... we have almost two wks. Our budget is backpackers with a little extra ready for the BH visit (3 dive trip)... :) I just saw a map of Belize... I'm more directed now. hahah

Yeah I agree with the above...we were just there...spent a few days on the mainland after diving...and were advised not to go into BC at night....heck we didn't even feel safe during the day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom