Waome, Lake Muskoka in June?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tjack

Contributor
Reaction score
Taos, New Mexico and Georgian Bay, Ontario
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone planning to dive the Waome this June? I am looking to do this wreck before she breaks up any further. If we can get 6 people together we can charter a boat out of Gravenhurst, or hopefully someone out there has a trip going?

Does Scuba Shack not have regular boats going out?

Not in June, I tried to do a walk on last year with no luck. Most of their charters are booked by dive clubs who fill the boat. Maybe we can put together a Scuba Board group? Sounds like a great wreck.

That sucks. I have only called him later in the summer so I just assumed they had them all summer.

I might be game. I heard you need lights to dive it though. That true?

From what I have heard, lights are a definite must. They classify it an Advanced dive mainly because of the tea coloured water (dark). IIRC they required AOW minimum and your own lights.....but it has been a couple of years. ScubaShack in Gravenhurst is who I almost went out with.

From their site
Sitting upright and intact in dark, tea-colored water, the vessel's original white paint still clings to her wood in places. The subtle glow of the bit of light that makes it to this depth reflects eerily off the Waome's 78' hull. Penetration of this wreck is possible; from the upper deck past the wheelhouse, the diver can descend down the stairway to the lower deck or head towards the fantail. The cargo doors on the second deck are open on both sides allowing divers to swim through from one side to the other. There are many other areas to be explored on this vessel. We recommend minimum Advanced Certification for this dive. Maximum depth of this dive is 70 ft.

I might be game. I heard you need lights to dive it though. That true?
Only if you want to see anything. This is a very dark dive and even on a sunny day little if any light reaches the wreck. It is also a cold dive.

The Waome is a cold dark dive, temps in the 40s f, dark water. Ideally June will have better Vis. before the algae bloom but still dark. It is one of the best preserved wrecks out there. The Scuba Shack people are down in Bonnair for a wedding till June 6 so hopefully we can get a charter some time after that. I hear it is starting to break up a bit so best to dive it sooner than later.

Did a May 24 dive yesterday, crazy warm up here on the Georgian Bay, surface temp was 70 f.

Did a May 24 dive yesterday, crazy warm up here on the Georgian Bay, surface temp was 70 f.

Where in Georgian Bay? Wiarton? What was the temp at depth?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom