Warm temperatures and DRY suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Far_X

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I tend to dive dry up here in NY in my shell dry suit. I have dove wet and I don't think it is cold at all (68-72) so when I dive dry, I have minimal thermal protection on (one layer of Cold Gear by Underarmor). This winter will obviously see that increase to polar fleeces. I am heading down to the Gulf in October to dive at the Flower Gardens. Surface temperature looks to be about 80F but I have no idea about bottom temperatures. Does anyone think I will have a problem in the water with my dry suit - where the temperature is concerned? I won't be hanging around in it out of the water. Thanks for your thoughts.

Anything above 80F and you do not need a suit of any kind. Dive skins for $100 a set would be a better choice. The temps in the waters at the tropics do not vary that much the first 100 ft. Unless you are doing a deep tech dive on deco, you should not need a drysuit in the tropics.

Far_X:
I tend to dive dry up here in NY in my shell dry suit. I have dove wet and I don't think it is cold at all (68-72) so when I dive dry, I have minimal thermal protection on (one layer of Cold Gear by Underarmor). This winter will obviously see that increase to polar fleeces. I am heading down to the Gulf in October to dive at the Flower Gardens. Surface temperature looks to be about 80F but I have no idea about bottom temperatures. Does anyone think I will have a problem in the water with my dry suit - where the temperature is concerned? I won't be hanging around in it out of the water. Thanks for your thoughts.
I dive in my dry suit all the time I mean all the time. the skipper of the boat will give you the info on temps call or email him.

Far_X:

Although I dive the Gulf, I've not been to the Gardens, so I can't give you specifics about temps there. However, I guess it depends on your own "cold" index. We normally don't start using our drysuits until the Winter: December.

Scubadoguk has a good idea, though: contacting the dive op will give you first hand info as to what to expect temperature wise. FYI, there are very few thermoclines compared to the North. (So says a transplanted Canuck, eh?!)

DSDO,

I believe the Gardens are quite warm, upper 80s. There shouldn't be a thermocline, so you may be good with some light insulation or just shorts.

Great advice - I'll contact the boat captain direct even though this has been arranged through a friend in FL. I just hope that the weather doesn't cancel the trip at the last minute. As the boat is leaving from Freeport, are their any alternative dives as my flights were relatively cheap as I didn't get the cancel option so expect to be coming down to Houston anyway...

I am in Miami Beach, on the east side of Florida. I have never been diving in the Gulf (which I regret and aim to change), so I can't comment on the water temperatures that much. We do pretty much share the same conditions above water though.

I dive dry always. In the heat of the Summer, I will be the first to tell you that I get hot under the collar before the dive. I use 200 gram thinsulate thermals under a DUI TLS350 (trilam).

I try to stay out of the sun and hose down before the dive to keep . . . well . . . I wouldn't use the term "cool." I would call it more like only hot instead of boiling. I also drink a ton of water in the time leading up to the dive. Thank goodness for my pee valve. :eyebrow:

Under the water, I never get overheated. Okay, I may have to take that back to some degree when shallow diving in 87 degree water in August. But we often get thermoclines here that are a lot colder in the Summer than they are in the Winter. Sometimes it gets down to 63 degrees or so on the bottom. I find it well worth it to be hot before the dive when I am going to stay comfortable while underwater. It's worth it to me.

Just make sure to try to stay out of the sun while geared up, get sprayed down by the boat crew with the boat hose and drink lots and lots of water. You get used to it after ten or twenty lifetimes.

Arghhhhhh - this just sucks!!! The dive was cancelled - fortunately BEFORE I got on the plane!!! Now I have a free weekend with no diving planned though I have been invited to try diving in the sky...LOL. May check it out to see how the vis compares :wink: Good old SouthWest allows me to take flight fare as credit towards another flight with no penalties!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom