Warm Water Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maybe you should look at Hawaii. With 2-3 weeks it's well worth doing more than one island and there's tons to see above water as well. I'd suggest Maui and the Big Island

Have you heard the news today? Very VERY sad.

What's so sad? They had an earthquake or two, each lasting perhaps 5 seconds. That's life in the pacific rim...
The media loves to report about how the power is out for them, but it isn't mentioned that the power companies have 'seismic trips' that autokill power when a seismic anomoly is detected of any significant size. :rolleyes:

How easy for to remark on "the earthquake or two" and the "seismic trips" as you type away on your computer sitting under your lights, in your a/c'ed/heated house. would YOU like to be there?

just thought it would suck to be there, any casualties?

Strong quake damages buildings, roads

A strong earthquake and sharp aftershocks jolted awake Hawaii residents, causing landslides breaking windows and shaking some buildings from their foundations, but causing no immediate reports of serious injuries.

(CNN.com)

okay, then. you win, SparticleBrane. I shall fall onto my sword.

...I have relatives who live out there. Our conversation went something like this--

"Are you ok?"
"yup"
(insert random stuff here)
"Well, since there's no power, I'm going to go take a nap...talk with you later!"

:rolleyes:

I highly recommend Chuuk... I've been to Bonaire, Grand Cayman, and some other Caribbean locations but if you want the best (most accesible) warm weather wrecks in the world go to Chuuk (Truk). You can do great shore-based diving through Blue Lagoon dive shop, located on the island's nicest hotel which is actually pretty good. The dive shop staff is very professional and will take you wherever you want to go after they check you out on a shallower dive or two... that means a 100' dive. This place is close to all the wrecks, so the only reason to do a livaboard there is if you want to do more than 2 or three dives a day or do multiple dives on one wreck instead of hopping around more, which is not bad either. At these depths, I found I didn't want any more than two or three dives a day anyway.

The downside is nitrox is very expensive there (at least compared to Guam), so plan on diving air on most or all of your dives.

Little Cayman Beach Resort has been under new management for a couple of months now and it was good before that)and I guarantee it will meet all of your wants and needs in every way. The boats, DM's and entire resort staff are first class. The food is awesome, Bloody Bay Wall is world class diving and the Tibbits, a Russian destroyer, off Cayman Brac makes a great wreck dive. I just got back two weeks ago and am still off-gasing from the experience.

We're heading to the Bay Islands in Honduras in a few weeks. A bit off the traveled path but cheaper and with as good diving as Belize. In travel check out Roatan.

Roatan is for sure another great suggestion. But be careful of cheaper dive shops wherever you go, make sure you check all online reviews. I've dived with some pretty dubious outfits on Roatan & Utila that were fully PADI certified, but the equipment was older and getting funky. Not a comfortable feeling. Coco View Resort seems to be getting top marks, that's where I'd like to go next.

Make sure you go with an outfit that specifies smaller groups too, not a cattle boat from a big resort - you'll get much more attention during certification, and more bottom time as well. To that end, Blue Island Divers on St. Thomas is by far the best outfit I've dived with yet, even though STT is the very best diving in the Carib. Still they were such an excellent outfit that every dive was really good, and I always felt totally safe and comfortable with them!

Back
Top Bottom