Warning for Monterey Divers (especially women): Beware of Fred

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LittleFrog:
I just wanted to post a warning to anyone who dives in Monterey to be wary of a local diver named Fred who approaches divers, especially women, at local dive sites and asks to join them on their dives. He drives an older red pickup truck and typically wears a cap with a dive flag on the front.

I had a very disturbing experience with this guy about a month ago where he grabbed me underwater and tried to drag me off in an unplanned direction. I have since learned other disturbing facts about his reputation.

I am not one to spread rumors, but the information I got was from several very reliable sources and I think it's important information for divers to have in making choices about who NOT to dive with.

According to several professionals at various dive shops in Monterey, Fred has had a reputation for this kind of behavior. They shared their knowledge about cards he has had that misrepresented him as a dive professional and "certified dive buddy". They also indicated that there was evidence that he has turned off air to force a buddy breathing situation. The dive professionals that I've talked to try to dissuade people from diving with him and one dive shop won't even fill his tanks.

I learned a very important lesson that day I let him tag along. I was not so kind and accomodating the second time he approached me. I hope this information helps others from having a similar experience.

~LittleFrog, a little wiser.

For those of us that like to wear caps with dive flags on them how about a little better discription of Fred so that we are not mistaken for him. ie... aproximate age, hair clr, skin clr, height, etc. etc. Thanks!

I've seen this guy down in Monterey before messing with people. It seems this guy has a bad reputation for harasing people and hitting on innocent victims. If he ever approached me and started messing with me underwater I would hurt him...bad! His actions are totally uncalled for, and if he keeps it up he should be put behind bars.

Fred S., Dive Buddy (that's what it says on his card) is a
white male about 60, heavyset and balding, drives a red
Mazda pickup.

He's as been a part of the Monterey dive scene for
probably 20 years. While there have been persistent
rumors about him, it never seems to cross the line into
being illegal.

He does seem to understand a firm NO, and have a good
memory. I know quite a number folks (including my
GF, Admiral Linda) whom he has asked ONCE, and never
again.

I would like to dive with him, if there is a number on that card could you please im me with it.

Thanks

I and my Female dive buddy were there Friday (30 Jul) and he wanted to tag along... I told him no thanks.

Does he offer his "Buddy Services" to all or just to groups with females? That was the first time I've run into the guy but fortunately I've heard about him thru the grapevine... regardless my female buddy was very relieved I shooed him off.

Chuck Tribolet:
Fred S., Dive Buddy (that's what it says on his card) is a
white male about 60, heavyset and balding, drives a red
Mazda pickup.

Thanks for the more detailed and very accurate description, Chuck. And appologies to all of you dive flag cap wearing and/or red pickup driving divers out there who are NOT Fred. Wouldn't want to incriminate the wrong guy.

I see there are many others that share my concern. Unfortunately, not all divers who dive in Monterey visit our boards. Please pass this information on to other divers you know so they can avoid negative and potentially dangerous experiences...or at least be encouraged to make appropriate reports.

~LittleFrog

Ben_ca:
I and my Female dive buddy were there Friday (30 Jul) and he wanted to tag along... I told him no thanks.

Hiya, Ben!

Your relieved female buddy happened to be the buddy who shared the experience I described in my original post. He also approached ME a second time a week ago while I was preparing to dive with my niece. It seems that he doesn't always have such a good memory.

~LittleFrog

Ben_ca:

Does he offer his "Buddy Services" to all or just to groups with females? That was the first time I've run into the guy but fortunately I've heard about him thru the grapevine... regardless my female buddy was very relieved I shooed him off.

I was also in monterey that friday and seen him parked in the breakwater parking lot sitting in his truck. That was the only day i seen him there the three days we were up there.

Actually i think his memory sucks as he has hit me up several times to go diving and seems to have a fetish about convincing one to go dive coral street or Pt Lobos with him. I give him my usual answer and he gives me a card as usual and heads off to his next victim.

I have to agree with Boomx5 about him trying something underwater with me or my dive buddy. Your best bet as stated earlier is just give him a firm "NO" if he is persistent. Like i said earlier i think he is a few cards short of a full deck and seems a little on the slow side.

I know a lot of people have already said it, but I wanted to add my own "That freak tried to offer his card to me too!" story. When I was first getting heavily into diving, he approached me with his CDB card, and I threw it away as soon as he left, it just seemed way too shady. Most people I know who dive regularly have a set group of friends, or a rotating gang they dive with.
As far as reporting the guy, if I see him down there again, I'll myself.
And while in Monterey I know enough people to always find a trusted friend to dive with, I used to go stag on dive boats in guam all the time, and I'd always just check in with the shop (MDA, I trusted and loved them!) and had them pair me up with someone else. There were a few times when they suggested finding a third person to join the pair, because one of the single people was either unknown or a shaky diver, but they were always responsible.

Hrm....

Sounds like a good anchor.

Back
Top Bottom