Warning for Monterey Divers (especially women): Beware of Fred

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw Fred cruising around the Breakwater on Sunday sometime around 1:30pm. He might have been cruising for another "buddy." Don't know. He was driving pretty slow, though.

I saw Jim's truck parked at Lover's 3 and hung around awhile waiting, but ended up leaving. Never did see any bubbles, but on the surface it looked like there were a couple of weddings going on and no parking anywhere.

My buddy and I encountered Fred when we were diving Breakwater on 8/20. He approached us as we were getting back to our car from our first dive. He wanted to know if we had been out yet and if we were diving more that day. We were polite and made it very clear we were not interested in adding a third buddy to our next dive. He then just stood there and lingered....not saying anything. Ew....Freaky!

He hung around Breakwater for the rest of the day.

Wristshot:
This entire thread still acts as a good warning for people to be aware. For that reason, resurrecting this thread is not a bad thing. Continue to spread the word.

Wristshot

I'm glad this thread keeps coming up. This is the first time I've heard of Fred. I'll have to keep an eye out for him. However, I'm not that type that would dive with somebody who approached me on the street. I'm not that desperate to dive. If I was I would take up solo diving.:D At least now if Fred approaches me I'll know what I'm dealing with.

dannobee:
I saw Fred cruising around the Breakwater on Sunday sometime around 1:30pm. He might have been cruising for another "buddy." Don't know. He was driving pretty slow, though.

I saw Jim's truck parked at Lover's 3 and hung around awhile waiting, but ended up leaving. Never did see any bubbles, but on the surface it looked like there were a couple of weddings going on and no parking anywhere.

LOL, sorry 'bout that, Dan. We parked at Lover's 3 and went off the beach and decided to round the point and come in at Lover's 2. We did realize we were kind of wandering across a wedding, so went around though... Didn't have my formal wetsuit on.

Good dive though! Gets you way out there with the cool rock formations without having to come all the way back around the point. Parking was not wildly fun though; we snagged a space an SUV had left, and it turned out, Fred was parked right in front of us (he left).

dannobee:

awww, sorry we missed you dan!!!! ishie and i had four of the best dives, two dives, allison and robert were with us!! it was an awesome weekend!!! we also met up with CA_BEN, he also was having a great time. though on our last dive ishie was being a true blond!! LOL, the sea lions were teasing her and she didnt even notice!! untill one pulled on her snorkel!!!! it was sooo cool and vis was killer!!! the even more of a high lite of the weekend was when ishie recovered her missing/stolen gear from a year ago, it wasnt stolen as we thought, it was bad comunication, trever at glenns recovered it for her!!!!!:D :D :D

I should have some hats made up, "I'm Not Fred!". :D

Jim, we could sell them and make a fortune!

Hey,

I want an "I'm not Fred" hat. It's amazing to see how current this thread has stayed for over two years.

My sister and I were at Breakwater yesterday and today and Fred was there both days! He came over and talked to us about looking for a buddy but we just told him we only dive in pairs. I think he's harmless, you just have to tell him no thanks! He is a little wierd though!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom