Warning! Terrible experience with Happy Dive / Ankermi on Flores

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There was still air in the tank, but the pressure went down to zero after one breath and then building up slowly again to 60 bar (this started at 70 bar, we checked the meter and in the start there was not such problem).

BTW this sounds like a partially closed tank valve to me.

Another lesson you learned was not to post it on Scubaboard, because you'll just find out from everybody who wasn't there how everything was actually all your fault.

Another lesson you learned was not to post it on Scubaboard, because you'll just find out from everybody who wasn't there how everything was actually all your fault.

Shasta_man,

With all due respect, but you're looking at this from the wrong perspective. All the people that have responded to Nic's post are either very experienced professionals or very experienced divers. The feedback that was given, was merely pointing out that a diver has a lot of responsibility, something Nic was aware of but only to a degree and that lessons can be learned as well from this case, as Nic acknowledges and it has been pointed out that there are always two sides to a story.

Especially Devon Divers initial post was very extensive and one of the better posts I've read recently here, giving a lot of good feedback and the posts also shows he thought about the case at hand, some well thought out comments in that post indeed. Considering that we all hang out here in our free time and don't get paid to be here, how long do you think it took Devon Diver to compose that post, including edits?

Last but not least, we see a lot of 'seagulls' here as well, people that sig up, post one post; a big complain about something (their egg has been dropped now) and we never hear of them again. Nic has come back and given feedback to his initial post, which I commend him for. By doing so and the way he constructs his feedback, he gives at least me the impression that he's not out on a vengeance trip but was and still is seriously concerned about what happened and I think that the way this thread is developing so far, he's also learning from the experience. I also commend him for continuing to dive and that he is now continuing his and his partners education, making him better and more experienced divers at the end of the day.

In my humble opinion, this thread has clearly given positive feedback and constructive criticism to Nic and in no way, I feel or think that all was blamed on Nic 'after all', as you stated.

I do hope you keep coming back here Nic and contribute on a regular base, hopefully also about positive experiences in the near) future.

Shasta_man, I hope that you also learned something from this thread.

It could have been a (partly) clogged filter in the first stage of the regulator. Old fashioned way to check this before the dive: inhale and see if the gauge shows a drop in pressure. If so, check if the tank valve is open. Pressure still dropping during inhalation or pushing the purge button? Do not dive with this regulator before it has been serviced well.

It could have been a (partly) clogged filter in the first stage of the regulator. Old fashioned way to check this before the dive: inhale and see if the gauge shows a drop in pressure. If so, check if the tank valve is open. Pressure still dropping during inhalation or pushing the purge button? Do not dive with this regulator before it has been serviced well.

I allways check this in the way you describe before diving. And for sure I won't dive with the thing if pressure is dropping when the tank valve is open. In this case everything seemed to be all right at the start of the dive...

2 Limbo: I'll come back in the future with positive things as well :wink: (already did in another topic). Maybe not so frequent, because I run my own business which takes a lot of my time, but for sure when I'm planning another dive trip (hope soon).

It's always a learning experience reading threads like this. Makes you wonder how you would handle each part of the scenario. I understand there are always 3 sides to the story. That being said, If I was on a drift dive (which is the majority type I do) and the boat captain made me swim 10 mins against a hard current, I'd be pretty steamed to say the least. Me and my girl are in decent shape for 50 year olds, but still, we dive to relax and have fun, not for a workout. I'd really like to hear the Dive Ops explanation for what happened in this instance with Nics.

I know we've had these discussions about DM responsibilities and the such, but you know what? We dive in PADI 5 star resorts and Ops, and because of that we expect a level of "Give a crap" to be exhibited by the Op, DM's or guides. Not sure what this Op's rating is, again...would love to hear the other side of this, if it differs from Nics. Nics, something to think about in the future. When making Dive op choices, send explicit emails prior to your trip, noting your requirements and expectations from a dive shop. We do that everywhere we go. This way, I know we are getting the treatment and services we would like to receive. Case in point, I recently sent emails to Ops in east Bali, one wrote back and clearly stated we might want to consider a location about 5 miles from them that suited our needs better (they tended to cater the backpack folks). I absolutely APPRECIATE that kind of communication. That ensures that we are getting the type of service and or standards that we want to pay for, and takes very little effort prior to the holiday :)

Greg

Last edited:
We dive in PADI 5 star resorts and Ops, and because of that we expect a level of "Give a crap" to be exhibited by the Op, DM's or guides. Not sure what this Op's rating is,...

You do realize that the PADI star rating isn't a measure of customer service/standard? It's a paid incentive within the 'franchise'-like membership scheme, not an award granted on any measure of the quality of service etc...

You do realize that the PADI star rating isn't a measure of customer service/standard? It's a paid incentive within the 'franchise'-like membership scheme, not an award granted on any measure of the quality of service etc...

OK, so what is the point of it, cause I'm sure I'm not the only dummy who thought it actually meant something positive to customers :) Also, the point I was trying to make was the communication with the Op you plan on utilizing. :wink:

OK...here's what I found, this about right???

Some of the Key Requirements of a 5 Star Dive Center are:
  • That they have been a renewed PADI Dive Center for at least 12 months and have no verified PADI Quality Assurance violations within that period and no open quality assurance inquires in progress.
  • Continue to meet all PADI Dive Center prerequisites and membership requirements
  • Have been awarded all three Dive Center Recognition Awards including: 1) Education 2) Community Involvement and 3)Environment
  • Distribute regular communications pieces designed to recruit & retain customers.
  • Conduct at least one PADI Advanced O/W course, one PADI Rescue Dive course, one PADI DM or AI course and one PADI Specialty Diver course per year
  • Have issued at least 30% of total diver certifications for courses above the PADI O/W level.
  • Display items promoting dive travel, and promote dive experiences through various activities.
  • Conduct non-training related local dive tours and/or dive travel trips.
  • Exclusively issue and advertise only PADI certifications for recreational scuba diving courses
  • Not conduct, sponsor or advertise any non PADI recreational scuba instructor training programs.
  • Etc..

Here's the definition on the PADI website........

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The PADI 5 Star Dive Center membership level is awarded to progressive PADI Dive Centers that excel in providing dive consumers with a full range of diver education programs, equipment selection, and experience opportunities and that actively promote aquatic environmental awareness. A PADI 5 Star Dive Center is active in its community presenting a professional image consistent with, or better than, the norm of the marketplace. These dive centers embrace the PADI System of diver education and are committed to providing customers with quality products, services and experiences. [/FONT]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom