Question Warped yoke A-clamp self repair?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
JimmyTG6

JimmyTG6

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I have an apeks xtx yoke 1st stage that was recently damaged after getting struck by another cylinder on a boat while attached to my own cylinder. The A-clamp frame is now warped, which prevents proper pressurisation and so is unusable. The 1st stage itself is fine, but has anyone ever encountered a similar issue? Can a warped yoke clamp be fixed DIY, or would it be best to buy a conversion kit and just stick a new yoke or din on there? Cheers.

PXL_20240315_054017257.jpg
PXL_20240315_054026299.jpg

Depending on the alloy*, brass can be brittle or ductile, but think about it this way: you’ll never stop thinking about a component you hammered back into shape managing 3000psi and hovering right behind your brain stem — vs. a $30 replacement part.

(*and other considerations)

Depending on the alloy*, brass can be brittle or ductile, but think about it this way: you’ll never stop thinking about a component you hammered back into shape managing 3000psi and hovering right behind your brain stem — vs. a $30 replacement part.

(*and other considerations)
Well said. I think the part is toast for now. Can you suggest where I can find a replacement yoke clamp for $30 (I'm assuming USD)? Possibly without committing to a full replacement conversion kit? Apeks hasn't responded for several weeks...

Have you thought about of changing it to DIN?
Apeks 1st Stage Regulator DIN Conversion Kit below.

I just had a look, the Apeks one is almost twice the price of the Scubapro one in Australia. Bloody hell.:eek:

apeks-yoke-to-din.jpg

Reactions: OTF
Have you thought about of changing it to DIN?
Apeks 1st Stage Regulator DIN Conversion Kit below.
View attachment 834970
Yep, I have considered this. The only issue is I'm currently working remotely (Seychelles outer islands) so I wanted to explore DIY before waiting months for a part to arrive. I also can't justify the extra effort needed to get the DIN regs off compared to yoke regs although everyone who uses DIN swears by them.

"extra effort"? DIN connections should not be highly torqued, the reg is locked in position by pressure. Once depressurised it should unscrew much easier than an A-joke clamp.
if you get any resistance, the screw is damaged (ether in the reg or in the tank).

I might suggest by starting a WTB post here. Anyone who already used a din conversion kit on their DST, FSR or MTX first would have that yoke you need sitting in thier parts box gathering dust. I couldn't find any inexpensive din to yoke kits new, even from various EU sources.

Perhaps you can find an unused old reg in the local Area dive shops where you are and remove the yoke clamp from it to use?

simple question:

Are there other brand yokes that fit that retainer nut? The connection is pretty basic....

This is assuming the retainer "nut" isn't damaged too...

Back
Top Bottom