Wastin' away in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ann, I asked a cab driver about Acuario's when we went by there a few months ago. He said the original owner's son was going to open something up there. Any word if that is the new owner?

sealskin98:
Ann, I asked a cab driver about Acuario's when we went by there a few months ago. He said the original owner's son was going to open something up there. Any word if that is the new owner?

Mike, I really don't know anymore than what that article is stating....I believe those "Margaritaville Cafes" are franchised so possilbly......JB hasn't contacted me with any information :D

I use to love to go and eat at Acuario's back in the 80's they had parrots seems like I remember a tucan and the aquarium....and the best grilled shrimp....

Maybe Christi or someone else that lives on the island will have more information..

Hey maybe you could get a job there cookin' up those good plantains you make :wink:

Augustus:
just catering to the crusie boat crowd.
I believe we have a winner!!! :D

I read about this on another board. Someone had said that they are leasing it to Margaritaville. A local restaurant inquired about the space and they say they were told that repairs would be about $200,000 and monthly rent after that would be $20,000. IF that was the case then no wonder a US chain is taking it. With the year Cozumel has had I doubt that even the most successful local establishments could afford those prices.

Augustus:
just catering to the crusie boat crowd.

Given the location that would be the case no matter what was there. Guess the owner figures he might as well lease to a sure thing where he'll see his rent money every month and not have to look for a new tenant in 6 months. Can't really blame them.

parrotheaddiver:
Hey maybe you could get a job there cookin' up those good plantains you make :wink:

I had my first bananas flambé at Acuario’s. Hey…maybe I could do plantains flambé! :D :D :D

Let's face it, in our neck of the woods the tax payers have voted down a community center for over a decade. They don't want to pay the taxes, and don't want to see the land developed. If you never heard of my neck of the woods, you likey have now. I live about 10 miles from Baily, now a national news story.

This is not quite the case in Coz which is already developed. However the reality is that now we have a King Soopers shopping stip mall (they call it the village) and the local kids hang out in the parking lot! The land has been developed, and our kids still have no place to go and hang out other than strip mall parking lots.

My point is if you live in an area you do have a few options even if it's difficult to stop big money. I have no issue with Margaritaville but next it is going to be McDonalds, Burger King, and Denny's. So if and when the community has choices, think toward the future as it will change things, and not always for the positive.

Whatever Raul (Rock n' Java) is saying about it, I'm with him...heh-heh...seriously though, I don't think Margaritaville thretaens local business as much as it is the other way around. I guess the cruise crowd may stop off there, but remember most of these people are eating heaping plates on the ship, so they aren't doing too much "food buying" anyway, and most of us divers staying in Coz aren't going to be frequenting a place like this too often...who really knows...

The people who go to Hard Rock and Carlos and Charlies etc.....are probably going to be the ones who go to Margaritaville....but that is ok keeps them out of the places I want to go:D

I remember when Carlos and Charlies use to be Carlos and Charlies and Jimmys kitchen they served the best ribs on the island in the 70's and 80's....but then they decided I guess, they could make more getting young gringo's drunk:eyebrow: anyone else remember that Gordon??

anyway Margaritaville is a state of mind for me :crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom