Watch out for Killer Dolphins!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It could happen. The earthquake in Mexico City was started by........well I really can't say now.

Joe
CBulla:
Can we say 'paranoia' and 'conspiracy theory'?? Wait.. look! They also have a UFO hidden under an oil rig and one of their sea turtles followed me home and used its special mind powers, picked me up and shook me all around!

note: this post is merely sarcasm meant for humor. There really could be dart-gun dolphins and ESP turtles.

In the early 70's I was a Navy diver with the dolphin TC in California. Navy Phins were trained to detect mines, rescue divers, and recover lost items ( dummy torpedos and missles) at sea. To think that anyone would actually take that article seriously also believes the story about Bush setting mines in the Levies to wash out the poor black folks, and those people who belive Ted Kennedy should be the next President.
Think about it for a sec why would you shoot a sleep dart at anyone under water ?
Phins have been with the Navy since WW2 doing mine detection and at one time they were used to set Limpet style mines on enemy ships ( didnt work out too well )
Anyway humanity has seen stranger things, I guess.

PS Aristotle was a twit, Humor is the test of Humanity. Think about it :)
:05:

Is there or isn't there? At the very least, I think it is safe to say that these dolphins were not armed with live ammo at the time they got out. They may however, been carrying blanks... :D

Why should we worry? I know of at least one example of military trained animals in the U.S. accidentally attacking civilians.

The USAF (us airforce) was experimenting with animals. In this particular instance, it was using bats. The bats had a timed incendiary device on them, and were kept at a cool temperature to make them dormant. These bats were then dropped out of bombers, and they were supposed to fly to buildings (to hide), and subsequently explode and catch the buildings on fire. Well, when the USAF did a practice drop over a bombing range, one of the bats flew to a church in a relatively nearby town, and another bat flew back to an airforce hangar. Both started fires.

The Navy does have an extensive Marine Mammal Program but Leo Sheridan has become a crank in his old age. He is the same guy who said the Navy executed a couple dozen dolphins off France for desertion from the program in the late 90s.

More info:

Declassified: U.S. Navy Dolphins. From The New Explorers Series on U.S. public television. Hosted by Bill Kurtis. A co-production with WTT/Chicago and Kurtis Productions, Ltd. Public Media Education, 1994. A 40-page Teacher's Guide for grades 4-6 (strong emphasis on captive dolphins and training) is available upon request. Available from Public Media Education, 5547 N. Ravenswood Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60640-1199, USA, (800) 343-4312, fax: (312) 878-3654. 60 minutes.

Taking viewers behind the scenes of the Navy's Marine Mammal Program, this video is a documentary first. The Marine Mammal Program, which has amassed valuable information about dolphin intelligence, has been classified since the '60s. Filmed in San Diego and Hawaii, this program uncovers three decades of scientific exploration and discovery. Underwater footage shows how Navy dolphins use their sonar abilities to sweep for mines and to locate lost divers. In addition to animal trainers, you will meet Navy scientists who have studied dolphins' athletic prowess and swimming speed. Other dolphin experts spark a controversial debate about the use of dolphins and other marine mammals for military purposes.

Back
Top Bottom