Water in the ear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gator608

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hi everybody exceptional website i just started diving the last two dives i got water in the ear how can i prevent it /get the water out of ear? if any body has any solutions i would appreciate them

I use a 3 part mix of isopropyl alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, and vinegar. Use equal parts of each mixed into a bottle. I use an old contact solution dropper. Put a few drops into each ear and let sit for about a minute then let it drain. This should do the trick and also help prevent infections. Hope this helps.

The real question is where the "water" is.

You can't avoid getting water in your external ear canal when you dive. That water is usually pretty easy to get out, simply by tilting the head and manipulating the outer ear. Alcohol-containing drops can help as well, and some people do need to clean the wax out of the external canal to avoid water trapping.

Most of the time, when new divers feel that they have water in their ears after diving, it's because they have fluid in the MIDDLE ear. This fluid accumulates because they clear their ears too infrequently, and allow negative pressure to exist in the middle ear for too long. This negative pressure draws fluid out of the tissue surrounding the middle ear. As a result, after a dive, there is a feeling of fullness in the ear. There may be bubbling or crackling noises, and muffled hearing.

Middle ear fluid will resolve over a period of days. The process may be hastened by the use of antiinflammatory medications like ibuprofen (assuming you have no contraindication to their use) and by decongestants like Sudafed. But it is better to prevent the problem, by learning to equalize early and often.

Here's more about water in the outer ear.

The middle ear fluid TS&M described is often accompanied by a crackle sound when swallowing or moving your jaw. It's common with new divers for the reasons she described.

Pete

welcome aboard

If not wear one. Keep your ears clean. Some water will always be present in the exterenal ear canal. Equailize before you enter the water using the valsalva. Don't be to forcefull with this as it can triger a cardiac response. Is it just one or both ears? Read up on the pathophysiology and anatomy of your ear and the barotruama that can be associated with it, that way you can guage your problem better. You might also consider a full face mask if this shows to be a chronic issue.

I recently had the middle ear problem. I was getting a cold at the end of a trip and did not realize
it. I took sudafed, ibuprofen and patience of about 2 weeks for it to clear. I called our local Divers Alert Network doctor for advice. It worked and now I am back diving. Welcome and happy bubbles for you.

Back
Top Bottom