WATER IN THE EARS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great Dawn... glad the new mask is working so well for you. I may have to give it a try. I know the vented earplugs made a big difference for me but who knows... the mask may be even better!
Ldreamin

I haven't a clue of what it's like to get one when out in the ocean...( ear thing )but I got a nasty one from my gramdma's 12ft pool once...
1 too many dives ... =p
I had a case of swimmers ear,once agin...~.~;, except
this one progressively got worse, and I lost in the area of 7 out of 8 hours of sleep daily because of it hurting so bad. I finally made it to the doctor, who proceeded to tell me that I had a bad ear infection...( I was thinking, Well duh! =p) so bad in fact my ear drum was on the verge of bursting.... I got these wierd drops I had to put in my ear what seemed like every 5 seconds..=) only good thing that came out of it was that I'm really careful about water in the ears now.....well.... that and getting to miss a week of school....=p

Good point Water Nymph, I never took time taking care of my ears only to keep water out when washing my hair. I never rinsed them out because I certainly didn't want to put water in them. I think that when a person takes a diving class, more time should be taken on the care of your ears, the signs to look for and how to prevent problems. Also what options are available. I just learned that the owner of the shop carries a bottle of prescription drops with him on every dive. Now he may have said this before, but he didn't explain why. He made a joke about divers being hard of hearing. I really don't think that's so funny myself. We all need to know more about ear care while diving, not just the part about clearing.
Comfort is everything,
Dawn

I am interested in knowing about your vented plugs.
How do they work? Everyone tells me that you can't use plugs to dive, but I have read, several times now, of people who use the vented ones. Do you get water in your ears?

I am also looking into the Pro-ear for a fiend of mine. If anyone can pass on their experience, it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, my local dive shop has their own web site, and they do sell the pro-ear if anyone is looking for it. Send me an e-mail, and i'll give you the link (don't want to be accused of commercializing things here).

--Starfish :)

To Dawn, Nymph,L Dreamin and the rest,
We invented the ProEar and ever since we have begun selling it we have been approached by thousands of divers who suffer from ear related problems. You cannot imagine how many colleagues you have all over the world with similar problems. Much more attention to the divers ear, maintenance, care and protection should be given by the certification agencies, tour operators and stores.
Hopefully you highly relevant comments and awareness to these issues will come to the attention of the right people

HMan,
I am very happy with the ProEar 2000. The problem I have a the moment is having to finish my last two dives. Since I have a new instructor (the other left the shop for another) I will have to take my whole mask off and on. So I practiced yesterday at the pool. I go this weekend. I really hate getting water in my bad ear and then having to dive twice in one day. I'll be glad when this ear mess clears up. The ProEar will help. It really takes away that awful pressure feeling and they do clear easier. I tried the ear plugs but they seemed to move around on me. Maybe I didn't buy them big enough. More people need to try the ProEar 2000. Shops should keep a trial on hand.
Dawn

Dawn,
More and more people are diving with the mask and we get tens of letters every month like yours. It is very gratifying that we have invented something that benefits divers the world over.

Now you should focus on finishing your course. Please do not stress out on having water in your ears, just practice in the pool as much as possible, it is no big thing but you have to really relax and get familiar with your gear and the proper techniques.

Good luck

Maybe the right ear is cursed.... :p that's the ear that got so infected on me...
whenever I get out of the pool now I put a drop or 2 in my ears to make sure no water is flaoting around in there...
that's just what I do...

I put a drop or 2 of

:tree: rubbbing alchol :tree:

in my ears..

Sorry bout' that.. :bonk:

Starfish... the vented earplug is a plug that goes in the ear but has a very small hole thru the center which allows you to clear your ears while keeping the water out. It works great for me but they are attached with a small line around the back of your head. That can sometimes be a hassle but it's worth it in the end.

Hman.... congrats on your invention!!! I am very certain there are a lot of us out there and I'm sure you will do well. I never dreamed I would be one of those that had problems with my ears but here I am. Thanx for thinking of us!
Ldreamin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom