Water temp question for Puerto Galera over Christmas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Plan on upper 70's to low 80's in the winter there. Whatever that translates in too for everyones normal cold tolerance.

Maybe check around and find a shop that will rent a full suit if you think you will need one when you get there?

I can understand not wanting to purchase a suit if you dive infrequently but maybe a bit of cost analysis would help? Look at how much you're being charged to rent the suit and compare it to how much it would cost to buy one? If the difference isn't major then that might be something to consider.

In the past I've been cold after doing multiple dives in a 3 mm full suit in the winter. I'm in the US now but should be headed back to the Philippines by early December. I'm taking my Mares Trilastic this time. With 5 mm for the core, I expect to be much more comfortable than I was last winter :)

Last edited:
A hooded vest is a great idea, you can buy them from Asia divers or Aquaventure White tip which is just around the corner from the Big Apple resort. In the colder months of Dec/Jan/Feb I still never wore a full length suit but the hooded vest is a massive help, the experts say you lose around 20% of your body heat from your noggin so best to keep it under cover :)

A hooded vest is a great idea, you can buy them from Asia divers or Aquaventure White tip which is just around the corner from the Big Apple resort. In the colder months of Dec/Jan/Feb I still never wore a full length suit but the hooded vest is a massive help, the experts say you lose around 20% of your body heat from your noggin so best to keep it under cover :)

Actually losing most of your heat through your head is just a myth AKA complete claptrap. It's been debunked a long time ago.

www.giyf.com will help here. Here's something to start...

Scientists debunk myth that most heat is lost through head

Vest will help: hood not so much.

What Bill said. I'll add, if you are expecting Christmas water temps in PG to rival those of Cozumel you will be unpleasantly surprised. There is a cold water blast from the North that comes through the Verde Island passage in winter. (That 23 degree C temp scuber d mentioned is far from uncommon December through February.) This produces not only cooler (some might say cold) water, but an abundance of interesting critters. If you have a good spotter you are in for a treat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom