Water temp./wetsuit question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spencermm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
What is the coolest water temp. you would be comfortable in wearing a full 3/2mm wetsuit?
Thanks,
Spencer

I have dived in a 3 mil in 75 degree water, and felt cool at the end of an hour's dive. After diving a 5 mil suit in similar temperatures, I'd relegate the 3 mil to 80 degrees and above.

For an average length dive (35-45 minutes) if I was just wearing a 3mil - I would be COMFORTABLE in mid 70's. If I go any colder I add a 2 or 3 mil hooded vest and I'm comfortable in the lower 70's (Florida Springs) Of course the longer you're in - the more exposure you will need as well. Of course, this is all dependent on the person so see what works for you :)

I dove the Upper Keys last month and this week. The bottom temp range was 72-75 degrees. I wore a 3mm Henderson and was comfortable on all dives. I found out that wearing a half mm beanie helped out too. In my case I think that it would have to get below 70 to make me want to wear anything thicker.

70-72F. A hood or beanie might make all the difference.

Cheers.

-J.-

85 degrees and above. Heck I put a 3mm shortie over my 3/2mm full suit in the pool :wink:
Ber :lilbunny:

What is the coolest water temp. you would be comfortable in wearing a full 3/2mm wetsuit?
Thanks,
Spencer

Haven't worn my 3mm very much, but I do remember 66* was too cold for it . . . .

Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom