Water Temp....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boats

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey there folks!

Does anyone know the water temp of Portage? Gilboa? Any of the Ohio quarrys?

My blood is still a little thin, from being down in Florida! That, I only have a 3mm wetsuit!

Appreciate any feedback or thoughts!

Thanks!

- Boats

I have temp readings from two weeks ago at Portage reading 56 and 57. Three weeks ago it was reading 56 at Whitestar. Temps are coming up so possibly 59, 60. I put the dry suit away three weeks ago. The St. Clair river is read 55 last week. I will get another reading in about three hours.

St. Clair river off of Marine City was 58 degrees at 9:30 am. Great viz--10 feet

I have temp readings from two weeks ago at Portage reading 56 and 57. Three weeks ago it was reading 56 at Whitestar. Temps are coming up so possibly 59, 60. I put the dry suit away three weeks ago. The St. Clair river is read 55 last week. I will get another reading in about three hours.

Thanks busdriver. Hope to catch up with you in a couple of weeks, you and your VW Van. Lot of history to that vehicle.

Hey there folks!

Does anyone know the water temp of Portage? Gilboa? Any of the Ohio quarrys?

My blood is still a little thin, from being down in Florida! That, I only have a 3mm wetsuit!

Appreciate any feedback or thoughts!

Thanks!

- Boats

Just got back from Gilboa a couple hours ago.

When we got in on Saturday, we were AMAZED at how warm the water was. The top 6 inches were about 80*! Then it dropped. Major thermoclines were at 20, 30 and 40 feet. Around the plane and helicopter it was about 54. 44 at the tubes.

After getting some rain and a bit of wind stirring things up. the top 6 inches weren't 80 anymore. Today it was about 72 at the surface.

Still recommend a good 7mm suit . . . .

Ken

Thanks Notso and Busdriver!

I am afraid, I'll have to purchase a 7mm wetsuit if I wanna dive back up this way! Any shops wheel and deal?

I am hoping the water gets to at least 70 fairly quick!

- Boats

Aqua-Hut on Reynolds... thats my shop... run by Jeff & Ian Davis... (Jeff is the older balding one :) )

they may have a rental suit or 2 they'd be willing to part with for $60-$70... use cash... they like cash... :)

your gonna need gloves ana hood too...

If it warms up, which it finally seems to be doing, we might hit 70 at the quaries by August, maybe late July. But that will be above the first thermocline. Below that you are more likely to see temps in the 60's. There are a few people who dive with a 3 mil but most are the types that are very hardy. 5 mil, or dry suit are the most common.

A bunch of my friends use hyperstretch one piece 5 mm, and add layers to it if needed. That works out pretty well.

Well, I am question for a wetsuit!

Thanks for the info about Aqua Hut! Jeff certified me back in the day, so I know he likes cash! I'll call him, and ask about rental wetsuits... great idea!

Last weekend, White Star was about 65 degrees @ 20-25 feet. Deeper had a few degrees of thermocline. With the warm weather coming this week, it's sure to be a bath tub in no time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom