Water temperature in Raja Ampat in January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FairyBasset

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

can anyone tell me roughly what the water temperatures will be in Bali and in Raja Ampat in January.
Will be diving off Padangbai for a week and then on a LOB in R4.
Any recommendations for what mm wetsuit I will need to wear?

Thanks for your help

Hi,

water temp doesn't change too much really, at the most you could expect changes of around 2 degrees. Say around 27 - 29 degrees on average. If you are able to cope well in the cooler conditions then 3mm long suit should be okay - otherwise I'd take a 5mil.

The water temp in RA should pose no problems. However, if you dive Manta Point and/or Crystal Bay near Padang Bai, you will want your 5 mil along with hood, gloves, vest, and booties, IMHO.

We just returned from another month in Raja Ampat. Water temp ranged from 82-90F (27-32C). It was a little warmer than years between 1999 and 2010.

I was able to wear a 1mm suit for the entire trip. Tony wore a an old polartec skin. Some of our guests were diving in a T-shirt and shorts. Others wore a 5mm. So depends on the person.

I do recommend you to wear at least a skin to cover exposed areas. There are things like floating bits of hydroid and jellyfish. Although you may not need thermal protection, it is good to wear something to keep the little stingy things away from bare skin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom