We all started out as O/W students

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure I'd want to work in a dive shop that discouraged me from diving. I would certainly not want to buy dive gear from a place that discouraged their employees from diving. Hell, I'm not sure I'd want to buy dive gear from a place that didn't have employees who dove with me.

I find female divers better than men because they don't have the macho stuff.

Rude people are just rude people. Don't take it personally. Some divers are nervous and over compensate by being a bit over the top.

Just respond with kindness and professionalism.

A surefire way to make sure I don't return as a customer is to BS your way through a subject rather than admit your not sure and research it. That is true in any store where part of what I'm paying for is the knowledge of the staff. I don't expect it in the big box stores but in a specialty store...
Not implying that this is the case here at all, I highly doubt it.
There is nothing wrong with sometimes having to say "Ya know, I'm not sure on that but I can find out for you right away." It is astounding how many people can't admit that they don't know everything and it sure isn't only in the dive world.

Lack of experience does not equate to lack of knowledge, so... you can have knowledge without experience and you can have experience without knowledge...but in the latter case, sooner or later you're relying on luck I would think.

Along with some of the others, my Mom taught me to open doors and my Wife is still glad she did.

Last edited:
...There is nothing wrong with sometimes having to say "Ya know, I'm not sure on that but I can find out for you right away." It is astounding how many people can't admit that they don't know everything and it sure isn't only in the dive world...
Along with some of the others, my Mom taught me to open doors and my Wife is still glad she did.
You definitely nailed that one. There are many in this world who subscribe to the idea that if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with BS. Nothing can come back to bite you in the a$$ faster.
I too hold doors, answer yes Sir and Ma'am, ask if I can help you with that, etc. It's nothing more than trying to be polite and helpful, and I apply it toward women, men, young, and old. It's how I was raised and I for one will admit that I'm sad to see it has diminished some in this country.

I'm not sure I'd want to work in a dive shop that discouraged me from diving. I would certainly not want to buy dive gear from a place that discouraged their employees from diving. Hell, I'm not sure I'd want to buy dive gear from a place that didn't have employees who dove with me.

For sure I don't get that strategy either ... the most successful dive shops I've ever been associated with are run by active divers who find ways to get their staff out diving with their customers. They encourage their staff to dive, give them discounts on con ed, and make their presence seen at local dive sites. Most have a shop-oriented "dive club" or a bulletin board where they organize local dives ... partly because they understand that active divers tend to spend more money than inactive ones.

Then again, many dive shop owners really don't understand how to run a successful business ... which is why they struggle so hard to make a go of it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I find female divers better than men because they don't have the macho stuff.

Rude people are just rude people. Don't take it personally. Some divers are nervous and over compensate by being a bit over the top.

Just respond with kindness and professionalism.

This is pretty good advice ... but my experiences would indicate that only a minority of men are into the macho stuff. Most just want to put on their gear, get in the water and enjoy themselves.

I tend to prefer female diving companions because they tend to be less goal-oriented ... which means that once we're in the water, they already are where they wanted to go. So we can take our time, stick our heads into every little hole, and find things that those in more of a hurry will swim past without even noticing.

To be fair, there's a lot of guys out there like that too ... but as a rule my women dive buddies just seem to be a bit easier for an old slowpoke like me to dive with.

Of course, all that has nothing to do with rudeness or a condescending attitude. I think you're right that it's sometimes an overcompensation or just a lack of being comfortable around a woman. Sometimes I think that the guy doesn't even realize he's coming across that way ... and if he did, he'd probably feel bad about it.

Sure, there's a few "Archie Bunker" types out there ... but I don't think they're as common as all that ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Apparently the OP is fairly young. Maybe the previous owner was concerned about possible stunted growth due to scuba in a teenager. That is the only reason I can think of for discouraging an employee from diving.

My wife is a retail store manager. Quite a few times, when a male come in asking about, well, just about anything, he'll politely listen to her for a bit, then turn to the nearest male worker and re-ask the same question.

She absolutely loves it when one of them will say, "hmm, you know I'm not sure about that. Let's ask Trish she knows this stuff."

So why the need to have such cocky attitudes?

Okay, I am a somewhat new diver, but have been working in a dive shop for 2+ years. Why is it that when someone comes into the store or comes on to a dive boat they automatically assume that I don't know anything and often times become demeaning? Do other divers experience this behavior or is it because I'm a female? Being young does not equate clueless.

Did you ever think it might not be a gender issue ? I try to watch what people say and how they carry themselves before I "assume" what kind of diver they are.

I have a woman at my dive shop that is your typical "cougar" late 40's , fake fun bags and an addittude that I thought was very cocky. She was going as fast as she could from zero to hero. When I was taking my Rescue course she was a Dive Master Candidate, Instructor told her to go out about 40-50 feet and do something( can't remember exactly what) she proceeds to swim parallel to shore about 20 feet out for maybe 150 -200 feet as we all get a good laugh watching her bubbles. Theres nothing wrong with being cocky as long as you can back it up.

Then theres the young guy working there with the same cocky adittude, we're talking about BCD's and he claims he doesn't wear a BCD , he wears a backplate and wing. Now his exact words " I don't wear a BCD " .
I know what he meant.... he just didn't

When someone becomes demeaning to you, you should put them in their place as politely as you can. My wife knows how to do this but I always lack in the polite part of it:D

Back
Top Bottom