Wear My Rolex Sea Dweller to Roatan??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tell ya what and you do as you think but I would put a one piece NATO band on that Rolex for your trip and then switch back to the metal band for the board room when you get back. You will feel really stupid knowing it is lying on the bottom of the ocean due to a pulled pin. Ask me how I know such things--on second thought don't. The nylon NATO/military type bands reduce the "profile" of the watch also making it look more common if you get my drift.

N

I didnt figure it would be a super big deal I was just wondering if customs have ever gave anyone any problems.....I have been to Roatan 2 times now and I really like it there but i have never brought anything in to the country that was that expensive........I feel better now that I have heard a few ppl say go ahead and wear it!
rboyer,

Most of the time Customs won't question you on the watch you are wearing but they might. If the watch looks new, is a high dollar watch, or they find items in the bag that makes them suspect the watch was bought outside the US like finding a watch box (most people don’t travel with the original watch box) then they may become more inquisitive.
If your concerned and have the time you can go to any Customs office near you prior to your trip and ask for a Customs Form 4457 (registration of property taken abroad). The Custom Officer will check and verify your Rolex by it's S/N and will sign and date the form.
You keep the form with you and if asked you can show that you had the watch prior to taking it out of the country and the watch was not purchased outside the US during your trip.
This form can be used for all expensive items that are manufactured outside the US and show that it had already been entered into the commerce of the US and this will keep Customs from assessing duty on your property that duty had already been paid when it was originally entered into the US.
If you have any other questions, I’ll be happy to answer them.

How much does the watch cost? I am wanting to get one.. Just haven't an idea the price. I have called all the Rolex dealers here and no one knows.. Might have to buy it when I visit my family in the US..
Kurt

I wore a Platinum Presidential to Bermuda on a dive trip about five years ago. I take it off at night and someone broke into my room while I was sleeping. Police said that once you're spotted, they usually send in a kid to remove the booty. I think that you should simply paint a HUGE dollar sign on your forehead and back to make it easy for thieves to spot you. Or just wear your Rolex. :no:

(Yes, insurance paid out in full.)

IMHO opinion, better to wear a Casio when traveling.

I say wear it. But I second Nemrod's advice about buying a Nato Strap. They give redundancy as well in that if one of the main pins pulls/breaks (highly unlikely), the watch will still be held on by the other pin. Also it will lower the "profile" of the watch... and they just plain look badass!

I use one all the time on my Seamaster and haven't gone back to the metal bracelet. It's more comfortable, lighter and in my opinion looks better and lower profile.

I wouldn't wear it.
Rolexes don't keep good time in Roatan. Something about magnetic fields or something like that.
You may exceed your max bottom time and have to take a chamber ride.

:D

the K-ronographer

I wouldn't wear it.
Rolexes don't keep good time in Roatan. Something about magnetic fields or something like that.
You may exceed your max bottom time and have to take a chamber ride.

:D

the K-ronographer

whaaaaatttt??????

magnetic fields? :rofl3:

Rolex's are mechanical movement. Not quartz movement, or digital. I don't see how it could be affected.

I always take my Seiko to wear while Im diving and lock my Rolex in the safe in the room when Im not wearing it.

Doug

Great thanks for all the help on the customs and all everyone. I do have a nato strap that I used on my computer for a bit, never thought of that!! This will be my 3rd trip to Roatan but i never had anything that was quite this $$
To answer your queston on price they run just a hair over $6,000USD finding one is getting a bit hard due to they are going to retire this watch. They just released a new Deep Sea Sea Dweller to replace it. Its about 3,000 higher! again thanks to all ill have to take some pics of it under water and post them!!!

whaaaaatttt??????

magnetic fields? :rofl3:

Rolex's are mechanical movement. Not quartz movement, or digital. I don't see how it could be affected.

Mike, that's funny. ONLY mechanical movement watches will be affected by magnetic fields.

K is absolutely correct. If you apply a a magnetic field to a Rolex while diving, it could have a significant error on measuring bottom time. You see, as you dive deeper, the greater gaussian effect of the earth's core will exert a much stronger force on the watch movement. Remember the right hand rule. It should be obvious here. Not only that but I would posit that the diver may potentially experience a shock due to the increasing electric field generated by the two magnetic poles, (your primary and your octo would turn into opposing dipoles), combined with the proximity to the earth's core. Two opposing dipoles are depth are deadly. (Faraday's corollary). My advice is to use a Casio. It could save your life.

Due to the potentially disastrous consequences of diving with a Rolex, can a mod please make this a sticky?

Back
Top Bottom