Wear My Rolex Sea Dweller to Roatan??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just don't forget to rinse it well after each dive.
The salt down there will kill the case if left on.

Congratulations on your watch you'll love it. I have had mine almost twenty years and it's a great watch. That said I always think the safest spot for the watch is your wrist. I have traveled extensively and never take it off ( including Roatan ). I never understood owning a great dive watch and not diving with it. I have not used the Nato strap with the watch but I think the center lug where the pin is might give you some problems. Have a great trip.
Jim

I didnt figure it would be a super big deal I was just wondering if customs have ever gave anyone any problems.....I have been to Roatan 2 times now and I really like it there but i have never brought anything in to the country that was that expensive........I feel better now that I have heard a few ppl say go ahead and wear it!

I have a 20 year old Tudor submariner (you know-Rolex without the name) and only once did customs ask me about it. It was no big deal but because it was a few years old at that time so they could tell it wasn't new (and I'm not even sure they still make it)

As for theft-like others have said, I think the only people who recognize the watch are people who bought one. I don't know how many times I have been standing there listening to people talk about expensive watches and never even notice what i was wearing. The only people who have ever said anything about mine were people wearing something at least as expensive.

I agree with jim! for these watches to be know as the best built dive watches in the world its a sin for them not to see some bottom time! Im extremely carefull about keeping my equipment rinsed....so im not to worried about the salt but thanks for the reminder!!

Last edited:
Hey guys, take it from me, rboyer has nothing to worry about concerning any theft problems in Roatan....I have been there numerous times over the last few years and no one has ever tampered with my Timex and I have returned with it safely each trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys, take it from me, rboyer has nothing to worry about concerning any theft problems in Roatan....I have been there numerous times over the last few years and no one has ever tampered with my Timex and I have returned with it safely each trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rofl3::rofl3::dork2::rofl3::rofl3::joke: Welcome home! LOL

Mike, that's funny. ONLY mechanical movement watches will be affected by magnetic fields.

K is absolutely correct. If you apply a a magnetic field to a Rolex while diving, it could have a significant error on measuring bottom time. You see, as you dive deeper, the greater gaussian effect of the earth's core will exert a much stronger force on the watch movement. Remember the right hand rule. It should be obvious here. Not only that but I would posit that the diver may potentially experience a shock due to the increasing electric field generated by the two magnetic poles, (your primary and your octo would turn into opposing dipoles), combined with the proximity to the earth's core. Two opposing dipoles are depth are deadly. (Faraday's corollary). My advice is to use a Casio. It could save your life.

Due to the potentially disastrous consequences of diving with a Rolex, can a mod please make this a sticky?

If anyone makes that a sticky I am going to permanently resign from the internet.

You know, when I fly, Einstein's General Theory of Relativity screws up my watch by a billionth of a second.

Not to say I dont believe you Ed........but ummm I have to do some research on this I just talked to 3 Comercial deep divers and they wear the sea dweller or deep sea sea dweller all the time w/ NO effects to the watch. The only time they dont wear a watch is when.........well here is his quote. "If I were welding I would probably use something other than a Rolex when diving...

But I don't use a SuperLite or a Kirby when welding either...

Not because of the magnetic field but because welding can strip metals from the surrounding area... Don't really know how the 904L would stand up, just would rather not try it"

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ! ! !

Where are y'all's senses of humor ????

the K

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ! ! !

Where are y'all's senses of humor ????

the K

No kidding. :rofl3::eyebrow::rofl3: I can't believe that anyone would read the claptrap that I wrote and take it seriously.

Back
Top Bottom