Wear My Rolex Sea Dweller to Roatan??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If anyone makes that a sticky I am going to permanently resign from the internet.

You know, when I fly, Einstein's General Theory of Relativity screws up my watch by a billionth of a second.

I once saw a diver's regs arc together because of the effect of the Coriolis force. The spinning of the earth produced enormous potential energy differences between the opposing metals in the regs. You see at sufficient depth, the Curie point temperature at which the orientations of spins within iron become randomized,causes the substance to lose its magnetic field. The loss of said field can induce huge temperature swings. Close to one pole of a magnet, field strength diminishes proportionally to the inverse square of the distance. This is because it behaves as a "unipolar magnetic field" (that is, the close pole seems much stronger than the far pole, so the far pole can be ignored). Gravity is also a unipolar field, and it also diminishes as the inverse square of distance; but, unlike magnetic fields, gravitational fields always obey the inverse squared law. The increased gravitational field can lower your bouyancy characteristic especially if wearing ballast like the sea-dweller. In short, you should have an emergency release strap attached to the watch that will allow you to dump the Rolex in extreme magnetic conditions.

(I'll be underneath carrying my emergency Rolex booty bag).

Can someone please make this a sticky too?

Last edited:
If you dive DIR, should you have a spare Rolex on the other arm? :D

Nope. There is no black Rolex that I'm aware of. So immediate disqualification there.

Nope. There is no black Rolex that I'm aware of. So immediate disqualification there.

Look again.... special edition Rolex Daytona in black. :D

pvdrolexdaytona-thumb.jpg

I wouldn't wear it.
Rolexes don't keep good time in Roatan. Something about magnetic fields or something like that.
You may exceed your max bottom time and have to take a chamber ride.

:D

the K-ronographer

Mike, that's funny. ONLY mechanical movement watches will be affected by magnetic fields.

K is absolutely correct. If you apply a a magnetic field to a Rolex while diving, it could have a significant error on measuring bottom time. You see, as you dive deeper, the greater gaussian effect of the earth's core will exert a much stronger force on the watch movement. Remember the right hand rule. It should be obvious here. Not only that but I would posit that the diver may potentially experience a shock due to the increasing electric field generated by the two magnetic poles, (your primary and your octo would turn into opposing dipoles), combined with the proximity to the earth's core. Two opposing dipoles are depth are deadly. (Faraday's corollary). My advice is to use a Casio. It could save your life.

Due to the potentially disastrous consequences of diving with a Rolex, can a mod please make this a sticky?

:rofl3:

see what you guys started!

now on another forum this question is being asked :D

Does this make since to anyone? Commercial divers please help.... - Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum

OK so if all these magnetic fields will mess up a watch down there.......How does a compass and your mechan depth gauge stay working? I've never had a problem w/ either of mine in Roatan.......

Make sure your watch is "scheduled" under your homeowner's insurance. Most of the time, at least in VA, jewelery is limited to $2500 unless it is scheduled.

Rolex are kind of small, only about a 39.5 mm case, doubt anyone would think to steal it really being so small and unimpressive. :wink:

DSCF0043.jpg

The Seiko has a special anti-gravitational rotor that resists the coriolis effect and nanoflux particles present within the Bermuda Triangle.

N

Rolex are kind of small, only about a 39.5 mm case, doubt anyone would think to steal it really being so small and unimpressive. :wink:
N

That's funny I was just saying the same thing about Doxa and Seiko. :wink:

DSC00818a.jpg

Review09.jpg

OK so if all these magnetic fields will mess up a watch down there.......How does a compass and your mechan depth gauge stay working? I've never had a problem w/ either of mine in Roatan.......

Roatan is close enough to the equator. This neutralizes the Coriolis Force, anti-matter deviations and of course, any disturbances induced by listening to old Donny Osmond LPs. I would be cautious however because proximity to the bulge in the earth's surface in the Bay Islands could subject any timepice to increase photonic activity which may cause it to gain a femtosecond or two in a decade.

Back
Top Bottom