Weekday dives, Summer in Virginia beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dectek

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I think I am getting roped into taking vacation at Virginia Beach this coming August. Not that I think it is a bad place but it is a Multi Family Vacation/Reunion thing. Best of all it is the better half's family. The boss sold me on this trip because she told me that "She would allow me" to dive all week.
I want to stay under water as much as possible that week. Anyone know of Mid-week trips that the Locals charter. Around my area the boats run mostly Sunday, Saturday and Wednesday.
Maybe I will also be able to find a dive buddy from this board to meet up with while I am down there.
I know it is a little early to be planning dives but, Is there any MUST NOT MISS dives in that area?

We like the Miss Lindsey (www.ldcscuba.com) and the Flying Fish (www.divequarters.com\divemain.htm). The Morgan is a nice dive...around 110'.

Let me know when it gets closer...I could always come down with something and call in sick for a mid-week dive :wink:

I only lately realized that "family reunion" and "vacation" are mutually exclusive events that shouldn't or can't be combined. Not that I have family difficulties- the problem is squeezing my parents, 5 brothers and sisters, and their spouses and kids into one house. As a "vacation" it just doesn't work. Any type of relaxing is impossible, because invariably the kids are on some kind of tag-team meltdown schedule, or they're coming from a different time zone and don't get to sleep until midnight.

So the idea of diving all week is brilliant! But how will the inlaws perceive your prolonged daily absence? For purposes of keeping the family peace, this may bear some further thought...

I understand the part about the kids being on different schedules but a bigger problem is the drastic differences in child rearing and discipline. One parent may feel that their child can do no wrong (There are a few in this family) and there are others that feel that they should be the only ones that should {i don't want to say discipline} verbally direct? their children.
Don't turn your kids loose on the world and then get mad at me if I have to correct them about their behavior! I have no children of my own and would rather spend my time blowing bubbles than putting up with other folks kids.
The Father-in-law is mad at my decision because his ears are too bad to dive any more and he can't go with me. I told him it was his own fault for having so many girls to begin with. Kind of creating your own problems.

Just got word that it is a go for week of 8/10. Hopfully DQ will get their dive Schedule for 2003 up soon.
Looks like I will be buying Gary's book on Ship Wrecks of Virginia.

DQ doest have their own boat in VB. They use the Flying Fish. Lynnhaven has about the best facility in the area. Huge shop with one of the biggest tech dept's around. Pool.They have two boats, the Miss Lindsy has a compressor on board. If you want to see where and what we are diving here I will put the links to the shop and a KILLER web site about our area. Let me know what you think.

http://www.ldcscuba.com http://www.capt-jt.com/

Undersea Adventures, operated by Jay and Donice Schumm, run the Flying Fish dive trips. Divequarters is a shop that contracts with Jay and Donice to send divers, but you can book directly with the Flying Fish. Contact them at donice@undersea-advertures.com
(tell them Marty sent you.....maybe a discount?).

You can also drive Nags Head in about 1 1/2 hours from Virginia Beach, and that time of year they will probably be running weekday trips most days. I don't have my reference book with me right now, but check out Outer Banks Dive Center (I think) for schedules (or just search the net). Nags Head is also a good place for a "family daytrip" while you're diving.

There are a some dives in the middle of the week with LDC. As far as Nags Head goes, there is a dive shop there, but they don't have a boat. They had one chartered there, but I don't think it is still there. A 3 hr drive will put you into Hatteras Village and there is a great dive shop (www.outerbanksdiving.com) with boat here.

Robert:doctor:

Back
Top Bottom