Weight Belt Over Crotch Strap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you use b/p with crotch strap and weight belt, I think the best is:
- weight belt under crotch strap with drysuit (you have redudancy from wing and drysuit, so there is no need to drop the weights)
- weight belt over crotch strap with wetsuit
I curious why you consider the two different. What is your thought process?

I always wear mine under because (when I have weights) my wetsuit tends to compress a little and losing my weight belt isn't my idea of fun. I've been lucky so far and only had it get a little loose and I haven't actually lost it yet.

I curious why you consider the two different. What is your thought process?

I always wear mine under because (when I have weights) my wetsuit tends to compress a little and losing my weight belt isn't my idea of fun. I've been lucky so far and only had it get a little loose and I haven't actually lost it yet.

First of all, I assume it is clear that when you dive with drysuit you don't have to throw the weight belt even in an emergency because you have your wing and your suit that provide you enough lift.

When I dive with wetsuit, b/p and weight belt I do the same with you. I have my weight belt under my crotch strap because it is secured for not loosing it by accident.

Although me and you do the same I think it is not the right way. If you have a wing failure you may have to throw away the weight belt (at least when surface).
I know that the weight goes loosen because of the neoprene compression but we have to check our belt when descenting and tight it properly.

Think that many divers worldwide dive in wetsuit, without b/p-harness-wing but with jacket bcd (without crotch strap). All these divers learn to check and tight their weight belt when decsent.

All the above have to do with what DIR (Do It Right) means to each one of us.

I wear my weight belt under the crotch strap.

I wear a rubber belt, it compensates for any changes in wetsuit thickness, and doesn't need any adjustments.

-Mitch

First of all, I assume it is clear that when you dive with drysuit you don't have to throw the weight belt even in an emergency because you have your wing and your suit that provide you enough lift.

When I dive with wetsuit, b/p and weight belt I do the same with you. I have my weight belt under my crotch strap because it is secured for not loosing it by accident.

Although me and you do the same I think it is not the right way. If you have a wing failure you may have to throw away the weight belt (at least when surface).
I know that the weight goes loosen because of the neoprene compression but we have to check our belt when descenting and tight it properly.

Think that many divers worldwide dive in wetsuit, without b/p-harness-wing but with jacket bcd (without crotch strap). All these divers learn to check and tight their weight belt when decsent.

All the above have to do with what DIR (Do It Right) means to each one of us.

I think I see the point you're making. I have had a wing failure and luckily I don't need a lot of weight, so maybe that's my bias as to not worrying about ditching weights on the surface. Thanks for your answer to my question.

If you use b/p with crotch strap and weight belt, I think the best is:
- weight belt under crotch strap with drysuit (you have redudancy from wing and drysuit, so there is no need to drop the weights)
- weight belt over crotch strap with wetsuit
That's likely a reasonable compromise.

I've yet to figure a way to wear the weight-belt where it doesn't in some way interfere with knife pocket or can-light.

Where do you have a knife pocket (and why?) and how does your weight-belt interact with your can-light?

With my Express Tech, I went integrated weight and a crotch strap. If I was going to wear a weight belt, it would go under my crotch strap. Diving horizontally, the buckle can easily be undone and by pulling on one end of the strap the belt would slide over my back and then be off. I also happen to have a quick release on my crotch strap so if need be, one hand would hit the belt release and the other one would free the crotch strap for belt release.

I also dive a can light. My BP/W waist strap buckle is offset to the right and there is still room for my battery pack. I also wear a front technical pouch dead center on my waist strap and in fact it straddles the looped end of the crotch strap on my belt. I will normally store my spare lights in the large compartment, and my dive knife in the bottom one.

I've yet to figure a way to wear the weight-belt where it doesn't in some way interfere with knife pocket or can-light.

The weight belt will end up being right under the can light. Same with the knife.
palau_march_2011_196.jpg
You'll have to look closely, but the weight belt isn't interfering at all. I hope this is helpful.

Disregard the lower picture....it's not showing the belt very well.

-Mitch

Attachments

• palau_march_2011_204.jpg
    palau_march_2011_204.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 255
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom