Weight Belt Over Crotch Strap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 Under... with the caveat that you need to refine and ingrain an effective skill-set for removing it quickly, when necessary.

Wearing it underneath provides additional insurance against the risk of accidental weight loss and resulting uncontrolled ascent (a more common issue), but complicates the quick-release of the belt should a buoyant emergency ascent (a less common issue) be required, or should you become incapacitated and unable to inflate your BCD effectively at the surface (another less common issue).

The weight belt can still be dumped from underneath the crotch strap, but requires additional manipulation in that you need to release the buckle and then pull it out sideways before releasing it. This shouldn't take more than a second or two longer than a 'normal' weight belt release - and is still probably quicker that trying to dump some of the integrated weight systems on the market (which have QR buckles and require two hands - one per side).

Formulating a 'balanced' rig (the distribution of ditchable and non-ditchable weight) can help to ensure that the amount of weight carried on your belt is not excessive, but remains sufficient to ensure that positive buoyancy can be attained. Proper weighting calculation, combined with an intelligent strategy towards cylinder and exposure protection choice, also ensures that you should never be too drastically negative - thus reducing the criticality of weight belt ditching in the first place.

As a last resort, the crotch strap and weight belt can be cut free. Carrying a cutting device such as the Eeezy, in a rapidly accessible position, makes this a 2 second task.

Well said.

Nice segue into the Eeezy cutter. haha.
I have two of them now, they are a very good cutting tool.

-Mitch

The weight belt can still be dumped from underneath the crotch strap, but requires additional manipulation in that you need to release the buckle and then pull it out sideways before releasing it.

If you are horizontal, which I usually am, just roll to the side and it will slide out (down) without nearing the crotch strap. You will need to be horizontal anyway to reduce the speed of ascent.

Bob
-----------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Back
Top Bottom