weight belt vs. weight in BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive the cold NW USA Pacific Ocean in a 7 mm farmer john. For years I was diving with all the weight in my weight integrated BCD, 6 lbs non-releasable, and 20 pounds releasable. I also dive with steel tanks which translates into 5 to 10 lbs (depending on the size) of non-releasable weight.

My instructor son pointed out that If I wanted to dump weight, it would have to be 10 pounds (x 2) per pop, and suggested that I put that 6 pounds of non-releasable weight in a weight belt. Now, if I there is some reason (bcd failure or whatever) that I need to release any weight, I will begin with the 6 pounds and it'll be much less likely that I will shoot to the surface.

Each person needs to figure out what works for them. I remember, in my early years of diving, that all the lead weights sat in my dive belt. I found that very uncomfortable and welcomed the advent of the weight integrated BCD.

Read the thread linked above.

It makes a huge difference where you put the weight if you are diving in cold water. In warm water with just a few pounds of weight, integrated weights start to make sense.

Cold water example: I use 20# of lead, a 6# backplate and the tank starts out 10.5# negative. There is no way my 30# lift wing can support my rig on the surface. Even if it could, the tank weights 43# so I would have to lift 20+43+6 or 69# just to get the rig on my back. I much prefer wearing the lead in a harness. Besides, I'm not sure I have enough waist belt to mount 20# of lead. It MIGHT work but I'm far too old to be lifting nearly 70#.

Warm water example (from the good old days): I had a 6# weight belt and no integrated weights (the concept hadn't been invented). Worked well, even with an Al 80.

Richard

bc with weights is the way to go and no if you get a bc with weight pockts you do not need a weight belt

Correction: A BC with integrated weight is one way to go ( :D ) .

Being able to spread your weight between your rig (with BC weight pockets or tank band weight pockets) and your body (via a weight belt) is another way.

Many old-time divers, gasp, prefer having their ditchable weight on a belt... that way if in an emergency you needed to remove your BC underwater you would not float away from it :shocked2:

Disclaimer:

1.) I suppose I qualify as an old timer...
2.) I've never used a weight integrated BC....
3.) I never used a BC at all until 2 years ago :wink:

Best wishes.

I use BP/W setup with no weight belt, I distribute the weight in my back, the BP itself, weighted STA and 2 weight pockets in the STA tank bands that I use to fine tune my trim by putting more weight to front or to the rear (weight in the pockets are ditchable)

I had this come up for me, and decided to spread my weight around between cam straps, integrated and a DUI Harness. I trim out pretty well and hope to really fine tune it this coming weekend.

Depends how much you are using and personal perefence. Warm tropical (Little exposure protection as positive bouancy) all in integrated no problem. Cold and a lot of weight (Lot of Wetsuit or Drysuit) you might want to split it up.

18 pounds on the weight belt and 5 pounds on the back plate, hopefully theres enough weight with my back plate and tank to slow any emergency accent situations that i might get into

Well, I just had a huge change. I was diving wet (and cold) with 14 lbs. I switched to a drysuit AND bp/w at the same time. Naturally, I was concerned with how much weight, how to wear it, etc. In the end, I went down with 19 lbs. I had 3 lbs in pouches, one on each tank band. Then I had 5 lbs in quick release pouches, one on each side of the buckle. I then added 1.5 lb ankle weights. Honestly, next time I go I'm putting 4 lbs in each tank band pouch since I felt too positive at depth when putting enough air in suit to be warm AND no squeeze.

The moral being spreading weight around IS a great benefit and a reason for me NOT to use a weight belt exclusively. In the above configuration, I was relatively well trimmed for a first dry dive. Had it all been in a bc I don't think it would have been that easy. So, use the weight integrated but don't hesitate to move some weight away from it, either. That's my opinion.

If you have, say, 10 kg in your bc and you hand your gear up to the boat crew before boarding, as is the procedure on many boats, they will curse you under their breath as their backs strain. If you split it between the vest and a weightbelt, it will be more manageable for them and you. On some bcs, a lot of weight might strain the velcro, although I think bc design has moved to more secure fasteners. On my ScubaPro Classic Plus, the weight pockets were pretty easy to ditch, but a belt would be easier.

Of course, you can remove the weights and hand them up to the crew prior to taking off the jacket. However, having said that, I've found when you do that, you get a lot of blank looks and it's so easy for one of those weight pockets to get kicked overboard.

I've dived with both integrated weights and both soft and hard weight belts. As has been mentioned, this is mostly a preference.

I remember once, before I owned gear, I had a rental plastic weight belt buckle break. I managed to recover the weight belt and when I returned to the store, I promptly bought an integrated BCD, which I could not wait to use.

I dived with that BCD for a few years, but eventually I began to dislike the integrated weights, and this is why: in cold water, there is a lot of weight in those pockets. It is difficult to distribute, you really have very little choice where it is, as opposed to a belt or harness which allow for positioning the weight for trim. (I don't use ankle weights because my legs are negative, I don't like a weight on my cam straps because it is very difficult to ditch.)

I stuffed as much weight into the back pockets of the BCD (non-ditchable) but still had what seemed like tonnage in the front pockets. SO that presents a problem, especially on a boat. Do I put the weight pockets into the BCD prior to donning it, making it very difficult to get on? Or do I wait, leave the weight out and then struggle to mash the heavy weight holders into the pockets.

This may not sound like a big deal, but in a dry suit, with 35 or 40 pounds stuffed into those pockets, it's very difficult to get the jacket on with the weight in, and very difficult to get the holders in after the jacket is on.

I eventually concluded the negatives of integrated BCDs are, lack of trip, some difficult of use in certain conditions, and occasionally not being able to find the right kind of weight for the pockets (ie. soft), oh, and, the problem of handing the BCD back up onto the boat if that is necessary.

Eventually I could not wait to get back to a weight belt, which is what I did when I switched to a BP/W for most of my diving. I can adjust the belt, not only prior to the dive, but on the dive for trim depending on the conditions. Belts are easier to hand up and if you drop it, it's easier to find that a little weight pocket.

My trim is better with a belt and I can distribute it where I want it. Oddly, I actually prefer hard weights to soft weights. The one real drawback of a traditional belt is the inconvenience of changing weights every time you change your gear configuration or switch from salt to fresh water, or vice versa. (Incidentally, I find it easier to change the plate back and forth between steel and aluminum.)

No piece of gear is perfect for everyone, but for me, I will take a traditional belt with hard weights anyday, just make sure it is a steel buckle, not plastic (I always carry a couple of steel buckles with me when I travel so I can make sure that's what's on the belt I am using).

Jeff

Hi Kat!

There's a mixture of good advice and rubbish in the posts above. I think the best advice is to experiment (you're allowed to) and decide what you prefer. A lot of divers these days like the integrated system. Me personally, I've dived on both and I actually prefer a belt. There's no law that says you *have* to wear your weights here or there. Some people like integrated pockets, some peopl like belts, some people like to have a weight strapped to their tank; for some divers (especially disabled divers with no leg mobility) it's more comfortable to have the weight dangling about a foot from the body.

Try both systems and decide what's best for you. It boils down to your personal comfort. Women, for example, usually have larger hips than men, and therefore the weight belt can be more uncomfortable for girls than boys but it would also be silly to suggest that all women should wear integrated weights.

Can I think of another reason? Well some people might suggest that's it's easier to remove and replace a weight belt underwater so you can add or remove lead as necessary. It depends on the BCD and the system you're using. Different styles of BCD/wing will be affected differently

Take all of the advice above, try different systems, experiment with different configurations, and find out what's best for you. Don't listen to *anybody* who says that one way is better than the other, because that's quite simply untrue.

Hope that helps

C.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom