Weight check w/o tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 on just hiring a tank, or getting to use a nearly empty one for free. You should do your weight check at safety stop depth anyway. Doing it on the surface in a pool with no tank or no regs... is guesswork at best.

Your body is mostly water so the average build has little effect on buoyancy. The weight of a full tank, more specifically, the gas it contains is compensated by inflating the BCD and as the gas is used the air in the BCD is eliminated. This is part of a balanced rig.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

unless you are me, and weigh 330#, in Thailand, I needed 8kg with no exposure suit and a big steel tank...

I vote just check it quickly next time you rent a tank

Your body is mostly water so the average build has little effect on buoyancy.

Spend enough time teaching and that first line becomes highly suspect. Training no wetsuit people, in the exact same gear, with similar builds, who need weight from zero to 12 lbs, has shown me this is just not the case at all.

If it were, setting up training gear would be so much simpler.

Ya, maybe I should try teaching sometime.........

Please note "average" build.....yes there are exceptions, the body size relative to bouyancy is more related to the amount of neoprene. When I teach scuba makeover program, we are in the pool in bathing suits perfecting breathing. The difference between a 110lbs woman and 250 lb. man (me) is usually about 4 lbs. Every class is video taped.
I find breathing is a very big factor, and sadly many instructors that are crunched for time just slap on extra weight vs really addressing breathing/buoyancy first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Another issue is the difference of density from salt to fresh water. While in the pool, the ballast requirements for the 110lb vs 250 diver may be just 4lbs, but when you add the 2.5% of TOTAL WEIGHT of the diver+gear to compensate for salt water, you gain another 3.5lbs for 7.5lbs

Top that off with the sad fact that the density of muscle is 1.06 g/ml, fat is about 0.9 g/ml (pure water is 1 g/ml by definition). This make a significant difference for some larger guys who carry a pony keg instead of a 6pack.

Yes, water isn't the controlling factor in buoyancy any more than your body weight is...its the fat. :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom