Weight distribution with drysuit (another wing lift question)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I finally had a chance to try my new drysuit (near Campbell River, no less). TLS 350, with dry gloves, DUI ActionWear underwear, 7 mm hood. With an HP119, a 30 lb weight belt and 5 lb steel backplate worked well. Easily warm enough for 45 minutes in 43-45F water, at least with dry gloves.

I realize this is an old thread but may be someone finds a data point useful:

I tested my suit in a pool as described above by Tobin. Standing, venting the suit, and adding weight until I started to sink when I lift my feet off the ground. In fresh water (plus/minus some chloride) I needed 37 pounds.

The suit is a DUI TLS 350, ActionWear undergarment (which is 560 gm/m2 fleece), shorts and t-shirt.

@walrus2: Thank you for sharing your weighting requirements for your drysuit system. As you know, the undergarment can make an enormous difference in terms of determining how much ballast one needs. Your weighting would seem to be on the high end of the scale. I wonder if your ballast needs would decrease if you were to use a product like the Fourth Element Arctic Fleece. If you ever get the chance to borrow a buddy's Fourth Element fleece, I'd be curious how this changes your weighting.

Thanks once again...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom