Weight threaded onto Cam Bands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BradyMcd

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I dive a Al. BP/W with STA most of the time and I've been trying out new way to weight the rig. I own Halcyon ditchable weight pockets but for the last couple of dives I've just threaded a 2lb weight on each cam band, directly on the top of the tank and tight enough that they don't slide to either side. Can anyone think of a reason why I shouldn't? Has anyone else tried this? any tips?

I think you would be more stable, if you placed two 1 lb weights on each cam band and slide the lead as close to the plate as possible, but I don't see an issue with what you've done (just as long as you can ditch other lead) or have a rig you can swim up from depth should the Bc fail.

Good point, I've just been making do with the weight the resorts have but 1lbs would be better, I suppose I could buy the weighted insert for the STA but I can't be bothered to pay the cost of flying with 6lbs of lead.

it throws your balance way off. Just buy a SS plate and be done with it... You could also put said weights on the back of your waist strap close to the harness and slide lock them in but it wouldn't be all that comfortable.

Just buy a SS plate and be done with it.

Yeah the Al. plate was tempting because of the cost of traveling with gear but I see the pros associated with a SS plate.

AL BP ~2lb
SS BP ~6lb

The difference of 4lb should be manageable.

Only 2 problems I can see. One is if your cambands comes loose or you need to readjust/retighten your tank underwater. The weight on the loose cambands can either be lost or make the readjustment a bit harder.

Another is if you're using a fat tank, you may not have enough to camband to thread the weight through and keep is secured.

Not huge issues. If you're able to swim your rig up with no drysuit or wing inflation then I see no real worry. You will want to tell your buddy that though, if they can't get you up on their own without some inflation then you could have a problem.

If you have the 2 lb weight where the camband is putting the maximum pressure on the tank, it's going to make the tank more likely to slip. What I've done in the past is to put the 2 lb weight on the band so that it is held by the buckle on one side, and the Velcro on the other. It doesn't seem as though that would be very secure, but I haven't lost one that way.

I agree with the desirability of putting the weights next to the plate, and honestly, if you need 2 lbs, adding 2 more is not going to make you horrendously unstable. So if all you can get is 2 lb weights, just use two of them.

I use weight pockets on my cambands from time to time. I've found this to be better than threading the weights onto the bands. As others have noted, its a bit better to keep the weight equal and as close to the plate as possible for stability.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom